weird problem, im guessing slave cylinder - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

weird problem, im guessing slave cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weird problem, im guessing slave cylinder

its a bit weird, but basically when im driving and coming to a stop sign i will usually press the clutch in and hold the shifter until it goes into 1st gear

well lately, when i do this it has been grinding, its not a loud grind its very subtle, and you can only hear it with the radio off, i can also feel it in the shifter, actually, its more of a rumbling

i really only feel it when trying to go into 1st gear, but i *think* i have felt it in other gears also

also sometimes when im letting the clutch out i can hear a squeaking noise, from what i think is the slave

what is confusing me a bit is if i press the clutch in while im not moving and try to go into 1st, it works perfect, same with reverse, no grinds at all

anyone got an idea??

Re: weird problem, im guessing slave cylinder

anyone?

Comment

maybe your syncro's are going out, or you could have broken a fork pad since they are made of plastic

Comment

mine makes the sound too, like the clutch is slipping some before catching its anoying, and for me if i put any foot into the gas and go into 5th it does a grind. i was told that i might just need to replace the slave too

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
          coming to a stop sign i will usually press the clutch in and hold the shifter until it goes into 1st gear
          Every time you do this your are wearing your synchro's. It will get worse if you don't stop and wait till you stop (or at least wait till it slides right in) to place it in first.
          The Synchronizers are a dense paper cone first and then brass and steel teeth . You have worn the paper away and are feeling the teeth trying to engage the gear.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
            Every time you do this your are wearing your synchro's. It will get worse if you don't stop and wait till you stop (or at least wait till it slides right in) to place it in first.
            The Synchronizers are a dense paper cone first and then brass and steel teeth . You have worn the paper away and are feeling the teeth trying to engage the gear.
            i thought about that, but it only does it some time, not 100% of the time, i would think that bad syncros would cause the problem to be there all of the time, right?

not to mention i can press the clutch in and immediately go to 1st and it will not make any noise (when the problem was happening)

im more worried about the squeaking noise though, i can live with bad syncros, but i would not want my slave to go out on me while driving

Comment

Being made from paper, temperature is going to effect that part of the synchro's a great deal. your going ot have to try and pinpoint where your squeaking is coming from. The trans being full of ATF isn't likely to make internal squeaks, although you may want to check the fluid level.
              sigpic

Comment

i can feel the squeaking in my clutch pedal and it is definitely not coming from the transmission

i never tested it yet, but im going to see if i can get it to squeak without the car running, pretty sure its either the slave or master cylinder

Comment

is there any play to the pedal before you feel pressure in the pedal?

Comment

Originally posted by Fondle View Post
                    is there any play to the pedal before you feel pressure in the pedal?
                    nope, the pedal feels normal, i wouldnt even know there was a problem if not for the squeaking noise

something def. feels wrong though, i can feel a rumbling in the transmission with the clutch pushed in, and holding the stick all the way to the left in neutral, it makes me think that the slave is not completely disengaging the clutch, but i can hold the pedal down and put it in reverse with no grinding, which is confusing me

Comment

it only makes the noise when moving also, not sure if i mentioned that, i can let it out a million times in neutral with no noise

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                        it only makes the noise when moving also, not sure if i mentioned that, i can let it out a million times in neutral with no noise
                        Then you may have a bearing going bad inside the trans.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                          Then you may have a bearing going bad inside the trans.
                          its possible, i hear it most on 1st gear, and every once in a while i hear it happen in 2nd or 3rd.

it seems to happen really randomly, and seems to happen most when im at a complete stop, compared to hearing it when im still moving a few mph

not sure if i said this before, but it seems to follow letting the clutch out, for instance the longer it takes me to let the clutch out, the longer i hear the noise for

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X