Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 3.08 to 3.42? Worth it?

Originally posted by Pewter02Camaro View Post
    That is an incorrect statement, the car is not making any more horsepower than before. You have simply shifted the where the powerband is for a certain speed. you have not gained any power at all.
    Sorry, my dear f-body cohort, but that is a 100% correct statement taken in the context that is was presented. :D

IE w/3.08's there are 60 hp available at 60 mph. With 3.73's there are 80 hp available at 60 mph. That is a 33.3% increase in hp at 60 mph. I never stated that the motor was making more horse power, in fact I stated the motor is not modified. I think you made the assumption that I was claiming the motor makes more power when it doesn't.

Its just basic physics and mechanical engineering. You can make your argument, but it doesn't change the facts as I presented them.

Comment

And like i said you have simply shifted the power band to the "left".

Originally posted by Mark42 View Post
      At 1900 rpm the 3800 V6 is making 60 hp and 170 lbs torque. By bumping the RPM up 400, the engine is now making 80 hp and 180 lbs torque. Thats a 33.3% increase in HP! And 10 more fl/lbs torque.

What other bolt on is going to give an instant and permanent 33.3% boost in HP for the same cost? Plus there is no additional stress on the motor, no No2 bottles to fill, no worries about blowing head gaskets, throwing a rod, burning holes in pistons, etc because the motor has not been modified at all.
      I'd say thats a farely broad and misleading statement.
      You havent "boosted" anything, all you have done is gotten into the power band sooner, and it will drop off just as quickly.
      You have more power availible sooner because of the gear change.
      Last edited by Pewter02Camaro; 01-06-2010, 02:30 PM.
      Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
      Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
      Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
      Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
      Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

Yeah I dunno Mark, I'm kinda with Pewter here on this one. I don't like the idea of calling it an increase in hp.

btw, if your tires grip I think there is more stress on the whole drivetrain with higher ratio gears.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
          Yeah I dunno Mark, I'm kinda with Pewter here on this one. I don't like the idea of calling it an increase in hp.

btw, if your tires grip I think there is more stress on the whole drivetrain with higher ratio gears.
          6 in one hand, half a dozen in the other. Both are trying to say the same thing, just different ways, although Pewter's description is more intuitive.

Good point about stressing the drivetrain more; this is probably related to the above discussion...

So nobody knows if thick series 2 are <=> normal series 3?

Comment

Originally posted by dgreet77 View Post
            6 in one hand, half a dozen in the other. Both are trying to say the same thing, just different ways, although Pewter's description is more intuitive.

Good point about stressing the drivetrain more; this is probably related to the above discussion...

So nobody knows if thick series 2 are <=> normal series 3?
            Honestly, i've never heard of thick series 2 gears. So sorry I can't help but, where did you see these? A website hopefully?

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Honestly, i've never heard of thick series 2 gears. So sorry I can't help but, where did you see these? A website hopefully?
              Yeah, I've seen some for sale on various forums; can also get them new from summit racing. So I'm pretty sure I'm not making it up...:tup:

Comment

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RMG-4900071/

Found a set for example.

How many splines for our axles though? I can't remember...28?
                Last edited by dgreet77; 01-06-2010, 07:15 PM.

Comment

The thick 3 series gears that make use of a 2 series carrier are fine.

The drive line stress is lower with the 3:73 over the 3:08 because the 3:73 will multiply torque more making the motor and trans grunt less to move the car. The only parts that might get more stress are the rear axles.

You may even notice that it takes less throttle to cruise at the same speed with the 3:73. This would have to do with more power being available at the higher RPM your now cruising at.
                  sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I've seen some for sale on various forums; can also get them new from summit racing. So I'm pretty sure I'm not making it up...:tup:
                    I wasn't being sarcastic.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

I have had 3.23's , 3.42's and 3.73's and so far with the auto 3.73's were the best choice , it will pick up like crazy when you want to pass someone and you can tune the trans and get a aftermarket TQ conveter to even increase the power band, mine never will go below 3000 when shifting at WOT, with the 3.73's which is where my powerband of my cam is 3000 to 6000 it makes it alot funnier to drive. So if you plan on racing it at least get 3.73's. Unless you turbo it then might look at 3.42's.
                      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

The only negative thing I read about the thick series 2 gears is the extra rotational weight involved. But unless you are racing, it probably doesn't matter. And if there is an open diff, might as well get a 3 series LSD while you're at it.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                          The thick 3 series gears that make use of a 2 series carrier are fine.

The drive line stress is lower with the 3:73 over the 3:08 because the 3:73 will multiply torque more making the motor and trans grunt less to move the car. The only parts that might get more stress are the rear axles.

You may even notice that it takes less throttle to cruise at the same speed with the 3:73. This would have to do with more power being available at the higher RPM your now cruising at.
                          Thanks for the good explanation. And maybe you'd know; but don't we have a 28 spline rear end so the above gears which are 27 spline wouldn't work?

I wasn't being sarcastic.
                          I know, I wasn't either; I was almost tryin' convince myself. It's been a while since I've looked into gears....

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                          I have had 3.23's , 3.42's and 3.73's and so far with the auto 3.73's were the best choice , it will pick up like crazy when you want to pass someone and you can tune the trans and get a aftermarket TQ conveter to even increase the power band, mine never will go below 3000 when shifting at WOT, with the 3.73's which is where my powerband of my cam is 3000 to 6000 it makes it alot funnier to drive. So if you plan on racing it at least get 3.73's. Unless you turbo it then might look at 3.42's.
                          Thanks for the input. I've got the HPTuners so I figure I'll be able to handle any changes that need to be made, I sure do love that program. LOL.

BTW, do you have an aftermarket converter? Whats the stall if ya do?

Originally posted by Mark42 View Post
                          The only negative thing I read about the thick series 2 gears is the extra rotational weight involved. But unless you are racing, it probably doesn't matter. And if there is an open diff, might as well get a 3 series LSD while you're at it.
                          Yeah, I'm not a hardcore racer so I doubt that much weight difference would matter to me. I also have the Limited Slip in my series 2 carrier, thats why I was even considering these thick gears. ;)

Comment

Thanks for the good explanation. And maybe you'd know; but don't we have a 28 spline rear end so the above gears which are 27 spline wouldn't work?
                            Your thinking axle splines ;) , we have 28 spline. Also the gears dont have the splines, the carriers do.
                            Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
                            Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
                            Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
                            Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
                            Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

The axles are 28 spline the pinion is 27 spline. I am unaware of any change in the pinion splines since they started making these rears in 1975 or so. The axle spline changed from 26 to 28 around 88-89. This doesn't affect the gears, just the carrier and axles.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pewter02Camaro View Post
                                Your thinking axle splines ;) , we have 28 spline. Also the gears dont have the splines, the carriers do.

The pinion has splines to the yoke and is what the catalogs refer to as 27 spline.
                                sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X