Zexel Torsen or Auburn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zexel Torsen or Auburn

I got a question and need a little insight. What would be better to keep running in my car, a zexel torsen limited slip or an auburn posi? I had the auburn in my old rear end and i liked it but then i just got this new rear end from my cousin and it has a zexel torsen and it works just fine also and i like it. So i guess my question is what will hold better for rippin and tearing (burnouts, the track, etc.)? Thanks for any help.

Re: Zexel Torsen or Auburn

auburn...especially if you start putting down any power...I just destroyed my new torsen at the track this year...was in the car maybe 1-1.5 years

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

I've ran so nice 150 shots of nitrous and ran the powerdyne for years with my torsen diff. first with 3.42's and now with 3.73's this is with the stud kit and T/A cover . If you make over 400 HP and break your rear, I would go with a 9" or a 12 bolt becuase you'll keep on throwing money into a 10 bolt and after 2-3 diffs you could of had a 9". Thats my plan anyways if my 3.73's go, since I have the stud kit, RP oil and T/A cover so theres nothing else I can do to beef it up. SO might as well go with a 9" esp. if your keeping your car forever like me, 14 years now original owner.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

your not running sticky tires yet though right ^^.... I have that stud kit to, and busted mine 2nd time out with the stickys... I now have an Eaton posi in there...which I love...was lighter to.

Clutch packs wont break like the spider gears in the torsen differentials will...they may wear out over time and need to be replaced, but thats a hell of a lot better then having metal fragments everywhere and having to completely rebuild the rear end...

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
          your not running sticky tires yet though right ^^.... I have that stud kit to, and busted mine 2nd time out with the stickys... I now have an Eaton posi in there...which I love...was lighter to.

Clutch packs wont break like the spider gears in the torsen differentials will...they may wear out over time and need to be replaced, but thats a hell of a lot better then having metal fragments everywhere and having to completely rebuild the rear end...
          No I haven't ran my 275/40/17's M.T. Drag radials, but even with the BFG G-Force tires I stall it up to 2200-2400 RPMS and it just takes off now spinning or anything, just chirps 2nd and 3rd gear. But you have a Stall though so your lauching at higher RPMS. I want to keep my 3.73's with my turbo so I can launch out of the hole and then spool quickly through the gears, I think the UMI tunnel mount TQ arm helps becuase its not atttached to the tranny. If I do go with a stall i will just do a S-10 stall a guy on FTV6 had pretty good stall #'s from 3000 RPMS to 3200 RPMS which is what I would want anyway since that is where my cam starts making its power band. If mine does break though i will go straight to a 9" though with 3.55 gears and I think they use a Auburn in them as well.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
            No I haven't ran my 275/40/17's M.T. Drag radials, but even with the BFG G-Force tires I stall it up to 2200-2400 RPMS and it just takes off now spinning or anything, just chirps 2nd and 3rd gear. But you have a Stall though so your lauching at higher RPMS. I want to keep my 3.73's with my turbo so I can launch out of the hole and then spool quickly through the gears, I think the UMI tunnel mount TQ arm helps becuase its not atttached to the tranny. If I do go with a stall i will just do a S-10 stall a guy on FTV6 had pretty good stall #'s from 3000 RPMS to 3200 RPMS which is what I would want anyway since that is where my cam starts making its power band. If mine does break though i will go straight to a 9" though with 3.55 gears and I think they use a Auburn in them as well.
            steve go with an aftermarket, I cant stress it enough...I only launch my stall at around 2000 rpm (I could go more)...it is not the stall point that makes stalls worth it, it is the torque multiplication...my stall multiplies the torque at the output shaft by a factor of 2.1, rather then the stock stall which does it by 1.6.

so if I am putting out 200 tq at 3200 rpms...then I leave the line with close to 420 tq...thats what makes the stalls amazing. Getting one from an S-10 will just allow you to launch higher, but you wont NEAR take advantage of what they do...

Comment

My next choice was Fuddle 3000 Stall , their about $350 and have pretty good reviews, but it will depend if I want a stall or not running 3.73's with the turbo I already I'm above 3000 rpms on every shift so it keeps me in my cam range and will give the turbo to spool up more to my 5900 shift point. I guess I'll just have to see how it acts and go from there.

Comment

from what i've been told auburns are superior to the zexel torsen

Comment

Their about the same, esp. in a 10 bolt. Your going to be limited to 400 WRHP or around there depending how you treat it and if you have supporting mods to help it. Then its time for a 12 bolt. Which if your making enough power to break a 10 bolt then its time to upgrade instead of thrwoing money at another 10 bolt.

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                    Their about the same, esp. in a 10 bolt. Your going to be limited to 400 WRHP or around there depending how you treat it and if you have supporting mods to help it. Then its time for a 12 bolt. Which if your making enough power to break a 10 bolt then its time to upgrade instead of thrwoing money at another 10 bolt.
                    dont say that...I dont wanna go to a 9 bolt soo soon....:cry:

Comment

Originally posted by 2000camarokid View Post
                      I got a question and need a little insight. What would be better to keep running in my car, a zexel torsen limited slip or an auburn posi? I had the auburn in my old rear end and i liked it but then i just got this new rear end from my cousin and it has a zexel torsen and it works just fine also and i like it. So i guess my question is what will hold better for rippin and tearing (burnouts, the track, etc.)? Thanks for any help.
                      It's a family board now...I like it.

Common knowledge is that auburn or eaton are better strip posi's and zexel is better for handling/ road racing.

Having said that, remember that is the rear that was in my car when I ran the 12.6 on a 150 shot with a 1.7x 60'... so it can handle power and be effective at the strip.

If I were you, leave the zexel in there for now...if you blow it up, you have a spare at the house.
                      Old Car = 12.679 @ 106.5 on 150 dry shot.
                      New Car = 2010 3.6l 304hp Camaro

Comment

The Torsen can do well at the strip. My TA ran hundreds of passes on it. I ran consistent 1.61 60's and 11.8 ETs and never had any problem with the Torsen, but I am well aware that I was pushing the limits of it. In fact, I'm STILL running a Torsen in a 10 bolt, only because I haven't broken it yet. Whenever the thing finally does break, it's replacement will be a fabricated 9" with either a locker or spool.
                        -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

If you decide not to use the torsen diff, you could always sell it to me
                          1997 Chevrolet Camaro
                          L26, Pacesetter headers, SLP cai, Centerforce DF clutch, Pro 5.0 shifter, UMI short stick, 1le driveline, J&M 35mm front swaybar, UMI lca's/phb/sfc's, KYB AGX shocks, Hotchkis stb.

Comment

Originally posted by xcdarrel17 View Post
                            It's a family board now...I like it.

Common knowledge is that auburn or eaton are better strip posi's and zexel is better for handling/ road racing.

Having said that, remember that is the rear that was in my car when I ran the 12.6 on a 150 shot with a 1.7x 60'... so it can handle power and be effective at the strip.

If I were you, leave the zexel in there for now...if you blow it up, you have a spare at the house.
                            Ha yeah. Well see i was thinking the exact same thing. like i know it can handle the power. And i was gonna keep the other rear end as a spare but now my parents want me to sell it so i wont have a spare. and i kinda thought that the auburn was a little superior to the zexel considering that it was locked in all the time. and since i want to get those heads and be pushing all that power all the time and laying into it like all the time, i was thinking that the auburn would just hold up longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
                              The Torsen can do well at the strip. My TA ran hundreds of passes on it. I ran consistent 1.61 60's and 11.8 ETs and never had any problem with the Torsen, but I am well aware that I was pushing the limits of it. In fact, I'm STILL running a Torsen in a 10 bolt, only because I haven't broken it yet. Whenever the thing finally does break, it's replacement will be a fabricated 9" with either a locker or spool.
                              you must be very lucky...cause I broke it running 14's, and mine was brand spankin new...

Were you running a stall along with your slicks? maybe thats why mine crapped out....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X