Do i need to change my 3.08 gears if i plan to upgrade to the Z28 differential? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do i need to change my 3.08 gears if i plan to upgrade to the Z28 differential?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do i need to change my 3.08 gears if i plan to upgrade to the Z28 differential?

im trying to make both tires spin instead of just one, would i need to change my 3.08 gears to 3.42 gears if i want to upgrade to the Zexel Torsen differential off a 98-02 Z28??

Re: Do i need to change my 3.08 gears if i plan to upgrade to the Z28 differential?

Yes the Torsen unit in the Z28 rear end is a 3 series carrier, your 3.08 gearing is a 2 series carrier and will not work with the Torsen.

You can use any gears from 3.42 and lower( 3.73, 3.90, 4.10, etc ) will all work with a series 3 carrier.
    1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
    1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
    1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
    2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

Re: Do i need to change my 3.08 gears if i plan to upgrade to the Z28 differential?

3.23 will also work, i have a set if you want them

Comment

Torsen's are made for 2 series applications also. Two series carriers can be found in many V8 f-bodies, you just need to know what gear was in the rear end it came out of.
        -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

you need to get a rear end from a automatic z28 for it to be series 2 im pretty sure

Comment

Yes, the only factory 2 series carriers were in automatics, but not all of them. Check the gear to be sure.
            -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X