X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle...???

Hey everyone, will an axle outta of a 1989 Iroc-z fit in my 97 rear? Thanks

Re: Axle...???

Nope, too short. 93' to 97' is what you should look for. Anyone correct me if Im wrong.
    sigpic
    98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

Originally posted by nimrod.sixty9 View Post
      Nope, too short. 93' to 97' is what you should look for. Anyone correct me if Im wrong.
      isnt it 93-96?

i thought the 97+ was all the same, but i could be wrong

Comment

Not sure, but when I was looking for replacement axles for my 98' I had to pull from 98'+ cars. Although that was disc brakes, so maybe it depends on that app. Im sure Brian will chime in soon with all the details.
        sigpic
        98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

the housing for a 93-02 will fit your 97. the problems you can see is if you have drums then for a 98-02 V6 or 93-02 V8 you will need to swap to disk's. ( you should do it anyway) and the later year rear ends that used a 4 sensor( 4CH) ABS system will give you issues. if you pull from a car with a A4 it wil have a 3ch system like the older year cars. hope that helps. its what i ran into with my 94 bird getting a 00 T/A rear.

Comment

Originally posted by A fireman View Post
            the housing for a 93-02 will fit your 97. the problems you can see is if you have drums then for a 98-02 V6 or 93-02 V8 you will need to swap to disk's. ( you should do it anyway) and the later year rear ends that used a 4 sensor( 4CH) ABS system will give you issues. if you pull from a car with a A4 it wil have a 3ch system like the older year cars. hope that helps. its what i ran into with my 94 bird getting a 00 T/A rear.
            This is ture because the axles are the same length& spline count from 93-02 it was the 93-96 drums making the newer ones not fit , but if you have done the drum to disk swap you should be fine. Damm I threw away 2 98' axles when I moved since noone bought them and if my rear goes out I plan on a 9" or 12 bolt upgrade.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

You might also encounter a slight issue with the wheels (depending on what you have). The raised flange on the outer end of the axle (the hub) is very slightly larger on the earlier models than the later ones. Factory wheels off the later models (98+) will not fit over the center flange on earlier axles without some grinding. You don't have to take off much, and this grinding will not affect the wheel at all, since it is centered by the lug nuts, not the hub. Aftermarket wheels shouldn't be affected.

Also, not all later model cars had a 4 channel ABS, and not all A4s had a 3 channel. If you're looking at the (donor) car, you can either look inside for a traction control (or ASR, I think) switch- if it has traction control, it has a 4 channel ABS; or look at the ABS block under the hood. If there are 6 brake lines in it, that is a 4 channel system, if there are 5, it is a 3 channel system. If you're only looking at the axle, just look for a splined ring at the end of the axle near the hub to indicate that it is a 4 channel axle. No ring is a 3 channel axle.

With all that said, a 4 channel axle will work in a 3 channel rear as long as it has disc brakes. I doubt the reluctor ring would clear inside drum brakes.
              Last edited by Skinny; 11-19-2009, 03:45 PM.
              -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X