tranny diferences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tranny diferences

is there any diferrences between a 97 tranny and a 2002. i think i might have messed up somethign while i was installilng the shift kit cause i grinded down a valve that dint fit jajaja. tranny works fine but there selling me one of a wrecked 2002 with 19,xxx for 600 bones. so are there any differences?

Re: tranny diferences

Yes they are different.
    sigpic

Comment

in what way are they different

Comment

97 down has a one piece case and a 4 bolt tail housing. 98 up has a bolt on bell housing and a 6 bolt tail housing. The brackets from the sides of the block to the trans are different between the two. You may be able to interchange the two if you use those brackets that match the trans. There are some difference's in the electronics between some years but I don't remember them off the top of my head.
        sigpic

Comment

I put a 02' A4 in my 96' without any problems, going from a 00' M5. I needed a automatic to drive. We just cut the brackets off the block where the M5's have to help hold the tranny, A4's don't use the brackets. But all 96-02 A4 are the same, I used a Speartec harness to plug into the pcm harness and then plugged it into the tranny. Even used my M5 crossmember, bolted right up. I had my orignAL 96 M5 but blew 3rd gear then installed a 00' M5 and then needed a A4 due to a stroke so installed a 02' A4 and only mod to due was the cutting of the sides on the block because the metal brackets for the M5's, and to do the wiring so the computer would reconize I had a A4 now. Everything else is the same and bolted up fine.
          Last edited by ssms5411; 11-09-2009, 08:19 PM.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

so i should be able to drop the old tranny put the new in no problem. there both automatic.
            Last edited by michael454rs@hotmail.com; 11-09-2009, 09:48 PM.

Comment

As long as their 4L60E's should have no problems (I think some 95's I think) 96' to 02' 3.8's. Mine was a 02' with 9,000 miles for $430 w/tax, I then had a tranny guy look it over and install vette servo and Transgo shift kit. He also replaced some of the factory plastic pieces with metal ones and said the tranny probably had a little more than 9,000 miles on it but he said, after he went though it should hold up pretty well, and it has. With adjusting shift properties and having the shift kit it snaps you back in your seat on WOT shifts, 2 & 3 rd gear and still has smooth shifts if you don't get on it. Ran a alot of 125 shots of nitrous through it and a few 150 shots and it is still fine. Will see what it does with the turbo next.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

im gettine mine with 19,xxx miles for 600 shipped from florida, the reason why im replacing it is because when i was installing the transgo shift kit the valve that goes into the tranny was force in there and got stuck go i removed it witch took like an hour, i had to grind the valve down a bit so it would fit. the tranny works but under wot the 1 to second is superrrr smooth and when going from 2 to 3 i over revs once. i think somethign is going on but i dont want to remove the valve body again. so im just going to replace. i also might i had that i use two washers and i dint feel a firm shift. i might have done somethign wrong or idk. i might sell it, the one im removing for fairly cheap or i might just toss it. how much did they charge you to install the shift kit.

Comment

The mechanic that did it and did the other stuff and new filter for $160 since it was out of the car already. Then I used Valvoline Dexron VI syn. fluid, I wish I would of used RP if I had it at the time, since I use it in everything else.

Comment

i wish i had never done the shift kit instal myself. but i did lol ima ask and see how much they a tranny shop would charge to do it. i called trangso and they asked me to chek the the tranny pressure i told them about my problem. how would i go about to chek it?

Comment

If you brought it to a tranny shop probably $200 out of the car or around there, I would just call around in your area and make sure the shop has a good rep. and ask how much they would do it out of the car. I have no idea on installing the transgo and no idea to check pressure, my scan gauge checks temp, and I know not to add pressure with Hptuners since the Transgo kit ups the line pressure. Good luck with it. At least you'll have a like new tranny when your done.

Comment

yeah im prob not gonna do add the kit this time im just gonna install it and leave it alone lol.

Comment

I would just call and ask a tranny shop how much it would cost to install at least, they are alot of fun and they do make the tranny last longer.

Comment

i was so looking forward to enjoy the shift kit and all i did was **** up my tranny lol or so i think like i said i dont wanna tear it down and find out lol. but ill call and see how much they charge.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X