Gear selector problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear selector problem

Im having an issue with my a4 transmission in a 00' bird. Im not sure how it happened but one day i get home from work, go to shift into park and it starts reversing .So i played around with it a bit and it appears that when the trans is in park, it is in reverse, when its in reverse it's still in reverse if im coming from park and all of the drive gears act normally. Neutral can be iffy as to whether its drive neutral or reverse. Now if i go from drive to reverse, it stays neutral. Now im assuming maybe something is loose in the assembly but i wanted to see if anyone had any insight before i go attempt to remove the center console.

As an added bonus i think its time to change trans mounts. I can feel the trans jump a little when it shifts under hard acceleration. Thinking maybe that had something to do with this. Anywho any help is appreciated.

Re: Gear selector problem

I think you should check the linkage going to the Inhibitor Switch on to the Transmission Housing or under the center console a bushing maybe worn out completely in the Linkage so you getting excessive play.

Comment

Check to make sure the linkage is secure in it's brackets. There's one on the transmission and another under the console in front of the shifter. There should be a retainer in the bracket that kind of resembles a large staple. If the retainer is missing or the linkage is not secure, then the movement of the shifter won't move the gear selector on the transmission far enough.
      -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
        Check to make sure the linkage is secure in it's brackets. There's one on the transmission and another under the console in front of the shifter. There should be a retainer in the bracket that kind of resembles a large staple. If the retainer is missing or the linkage is not secure, then the movement of the shifter won't move the gear selector on the transmission far enough.
        X2 have to check the linkage , I did this after we swapped a 02' A4 in my 96' Camaro. The cable was a B!tch to mess with but once it is on it just pulls to select the gear, I drove 50 miles with no center console and just used the cable to put it in the right gear and park(long story). Your in AZ too, where about do you live? I'm out in Surprise just west of the 303 and Greenway.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. Figured out the problem was that one of the 2 bolts that holds the linkage to the bottom of the trans had worked its way loose and fallen off so it had alot of play in it. Got a new bolt and tightened it all up and it works perfectly now.

ssms yeah i actually used to live at 59th ave and bell. Now im over at warner and the 101 in chandler. Startin to finally cool down a bit. Cant wait till it gets a little cooler so i can install headers/cat/catback without getting heat stroke. I actually got it all jacked up near the start of summer, crawled under and just said F it. Its too hot to work with the 3 1/2 inches of clearance a firebird provides ;)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X