Gear Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Swap

I'm thinking about doing a gear swap, I have 3.08s in my rear end now, and want to go up to 3.42s. How hard is this procudure? What exactly do I need? etc. Is it better off just paying someone? or not doing it at all?

Re: Gear Swap

read end stuff is something you let a pro do, to be safe.

for gears, I believe 3.42 is still a 2 series carrier so you just need the actual gear for the swap.

might as well add a lsd unit while you're there. you can also use a rear end installation kit.

you can read more about it here http://mods.firebirdv6.com/drivetrain.html
    select gears on the left side.

also take a look at this site
    http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=5&pcid=68
    thats where i bought my items from when I upgraded my rear end.
    you can choose from different carriers, gears, oil addictive, and it comes with rear end cover and studs to strengthen ur investment. the package doesn't include a lsd unit though, so you will have to buy one separately.

once your done with the hardware, remember you still need a tune to properly adjust your speedo to match your new speeds.

hope this helps.
    Last edited by truekoa; 09-09-2009, 02:25 PM.
    1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
    1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
    1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
    2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

Yeah I know that it would need a 3 series carrier, but I read that you can put a gear spacer in to avoid the carrier change..but is there a write up on how to do just the actual gear and pinion swap?

Comment

Originally posted by akcamaro02 View Post
        Yeah I know that it would need a 3 series carrier, but I read that you can put a gear spacer in to avoid the carrier change..but is there a write up on how to do just the actual gear and pinion swap?

Richmond sells one. Try searching youtube.
        sigpic

Comment

I've never seen an actual spacer, but Strange, Richmond, and probably some other manufacturers make a thicker ring gear to use with a 2 series carrier.
          -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
            I've never seen an actual spacer, but Strange, Richmond, and probably some other manufacturers make a thicker ring gear to use with a 2 series carrier.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MGR-075050/

Motive makes one for the 7.5/7.625. But for the price you should just buy the gear set made to fit the 2 series carrier.
            sigpic

Comment

well the highest gears for a 2 series are 3.08s, which is what i'm currently running stock..anything higher requires a 3 series carrier or a gear ring spacer.

Comment

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=5&pcid=67

there are some higher gear ratios that come with a two series carrier.

scroll down to pro street gears.
                1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
                1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
                1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
                2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

Originally posted by akcamaro02 View Post
                  well the highest gears for a 2 series are 3.08s, which is what i'm currently running stock..anything higher requires a 3 series carrier or a gear ring spacer.
                  Or a 3 series gear set made to fit a 2 series carrier. The spacer ring is made into the ring gear.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by truekoa View Post
                    http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=5&pcid=67

there are some higher gear ratios that come with a two series carrier.

scroll down to pro street gears.

you mean " lower" gear ratio's.
                    sigpic

Comment

Is it possible to do a gear swap on a car without LSD?

Comment

Yes...
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by enzia35 View Post
                          Is it possible to do a gear swap on a car without LSD?
                          Yes but why bother? Unless you are going to go to something like a 2:73 to improve gas milage on the highway, it is pointless. The lower gear ratio you go (3.42, 3.73, 3.90, 4.10, 4.56) the easier it is to spin the tires...you would never get the potential out of you're car if you didnt put the posi unit in...infact, you would probably be slower due to lack of traction.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                          1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                            Yes but why bother? Unless you are going to go to something like a 2:73 to improve gas milage on the highway, it is pointless. The lower gear ratio you go (3.42, 3.73, 3.90, 4.10, 4.56) the easier it is to spin the tires...you would never get the potential out of you're car if you didnt put the posi unit in...infact, you would probably be slower due to lack of traction.
                            Agreed. My car is currently back in the shop having the 3.42/Torsen unit reset for proper backlash. But the brief time I did have it to drive after the initial install was no comparison to an open diff and 3.08 gears. Do it right the first time with a limited slip differential and some good gears. Don't forget to get the proper ABS reluctor ring if you do end up getting a series 3 differential.
                            '99 Camaro
                            '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                            '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Alright, that's what I figured, just needed confirmation. Time to look for a rearend.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X