Fuel Pump Trap door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Pump Trap door

I found the info on how to make the door, but the pictures didn't show how to disconnect the lines going to the pump, or how to get to them. Any help and pictures would be a great help. Do you need to make the access panel larger?

Re: Fuel Pump Trap door

sorry. i did it the correct way and dropped the axle and tank. it was a pain but if you dont want to cut huge wholes on ur body... my buddy with a trans am did this and i think it turned out like sh*t. its much more worth it to fix the car properly.

Comment

i dropped the tank. i would never cut the hole. might take less time but you also have to worry about cutting wires, hoses even the tank.

not worth it to me
      WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

they have a clip on the hoses, I used a screwdriver before when I swapped pumps
        http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

I did the trap door , glad I did too. It makes it so much easier to swap the pump, and I made a cover to go back over it. I also cut a little more down by the disconnect lines so it was alot eaiser to get those off also. 1 of the best top 10 mods to do for the F body.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

You'd think GM engineers would have had the sense to install an access hole at the factory.
            2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Anyone got photos of where to actually make the cut?

Comment

Ditto on that mod. What a time saver if you like to bust your balls you can drop the tank. If that's doing it the right way then I'll do it the wrong way everytime. By the time you drop your tank my pump is already out.

Comment

Originally posted by 3.4grapeofwrath View Post
                  Ditto on that mod. What a time saver if you like to bust your balls you can drop the tank. If that's doing it the right way then I'll do it the wrong way everytime. By the time you drop your tank my pump is already out.
                  ^By the time they are getting ready to drop the tank, my pump would be alreay switched out and running again. Maybe 10-15 mins to swap through the trap door, once it is already cut.LOL I precut mine along time ago when I heard about it , glad I did. I used a dremel on mine cutting just the top of the metal ,not going to deep. once I got the passenger side cut, I cut the taped out area down the middle so I could bend up the side where the lines are on the drivers side. I went though about 5 dremel wheels in all since the metal is pretty think back there I felt alot better once I could see how much room I had then finished it up. Like I said before if you cut alittle more where the disconnect lines are it will make it easier to get the lines off without messing them up where they meet. Other than that since I had DeadMat in my car, I doubled layered some and made a cover for the hole then duct taped it down.
                  08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                  96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

If you search for my user name on this topic, you'll find some 99+ pictures. The earlier models have different tanks and locations.

I did the cutting (I was extremely careful on the left side not to cut too deep), bought the pump and then took it to a mechanic who to in in for me - well worth avoiding the "I don't know what to do now" factor and having gas sloshing on my hands.

The mechanic only charged me a small amount becuase it was so easy.
                    I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
                    CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
                    FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread...ight=fuel+pump

This is for 99+.

For 98 and earlier, do more searches.

98 f bodies = transition year = everything is a mess.
                      I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
                      CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
                      FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

All the cutting outlines are the same, just if you want more room for the disconnects, cut more by the drivers side, just be careful and like stated not cut deep on that side until you can see where your cutting. For my 96' when I put in my walbro 255 high flow I ditched the bucket used 2 bigger size hose clamps to clamp everything together and the connectors where plug & play. Pretty easy. Well worth cutting the trap door ,plus about a 5lb weight reduction from the heavy @ss metal.LOL

Comment

Whoa I think I may have to do this repair as well. Im thinking of going with the cutting a whole deal. But I got a quick question. When I turn the ignition on, I hear a 1-2 second whine coming from the back. Im guessing thats the fuel pump.

Well to make things short my car isn't starting. The power is fine, it turns on, but just wont turn over. Does this sound like the fuel pump went out although I hear that whine?

Comment

Trap door FTW.

I wouldnt waste the time dropping the rearend and the tank. Get a fuel line remover from any autoparts store (around $8) for the fuel lines.
                            sigpic
                            1997 Camaro RS A4
                            2006 Chevy Colorado
                            2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R

Comment

Also do yourself a favor and cover the back window when you cut it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X