painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• painting

I've got the primer on and sanded it down with 400 to get it nice and smooth and i'm getting ready for the base coat, but my question is, once i sand that down with 1000 and 2000, do i buff it out or just apply the clear over top of the dull basecoat? If i buff it, what should i be using..rubbing compound?
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Re: painting

add the clear directly over the dull base, if base has been applyed for any legnth of time you may want to use a tack cloth and wipe the car down again. Applying anything to the car in between base/clear may cause it to fish eye.

Comment

Bob80 is right, but usually the only reason to sand between basecoat and clearcoat, is if you get orange peel. Some people "color sand" but this process is very tricky and if your not careful, you can actually make it look bad. My best advice many nice light coats of paint will give you even color throughout the car and give good results. Good luck, and put out some pics when your done.

Comment

typically you dont even sand the base coat. just lay the clear right on top and sand THAT till its smooth as glass.

color sanding is a misleading term, because youre not really sanding the color, your sanding the clear.

http://autodetail.blogspot.com/2006/...1-what-is.html
        Last edited by Loochy88; 06-17-2007, 10:59 AM.

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
        Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
          New Owner!
          by LETZRIDE
          I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
          19 hours ago
        • ssms5411
          Little work today
          by ssms5411
          Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
          2 weeks ago
        • LETZRIDE
          Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
          by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
          Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
          By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
          Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
          02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X