Polishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing

Rims, not the car. Who's done it? I'm looking at buying some cheap aluminum rims and polishing them up myself. The put a layer of clear coat on, and I should be set. How hard should it be, and how long did it take you?
    ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
    A few things

Only Member of Team Hooker?!?

Re: Polishing

I attempted to polish the salad shooters once, and one wheel took me about 9 hours. Between dry sanding to remove most of the paint, wetsanding to smooth out, buffing with compounding and finally polishing, it was too much time from my day. I gave up after one wheel and installed WS6 wheels.

If you have a sandblaster, then it should dramatically cut the labor time.
    sigpic

Comment

What kind of wheels are they? I use to have polished aluminum Weld draglites and I screwed them up with wheel cleaner. (I sprayed the tires and it dripped down onto the wheels and stained the hell out of them). It took me at least 4 hours to polish each one out with compound, polish, a buffer, and finally by hand. I will NEVER buy polished wheels again. Also, if you decide to take on this task, DO NOT use clearcoat on them when you're done, it looks like crap because it dulls the shine that you worked so hard to achieve in the first place.
      2004 CE Corvette 10.86@132mph
      1996 Supercharged/Nitrous Camaro RS (For Sale)
      2011 Cadillac CTS-V
      2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-P
      2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

OK. And I do have a sand blaster available.
        ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
        A few things

Comment

what rims are you trying to polish?

Comment

None yet. I was hoping to find a cheap set of IRocs to put on. I looooove the look of them and the wider stance looks dead sexy :P I was just wondering if it'd be worth it to find some and polish them up, or to just buy chromed ones.
            ~97 3.8L V6 Camaro~
            A few things

Comment

You dont want to use a sand blaster.. you want to use a belt sander or something to get the paint off them , then the rest is all done by hand.

A sandblaster will pit the surface.

& like said before, you dont clearcoat after you polish, but polished wheels need alot of attention to keep them looking nice after getting dirty or washed or whatever.
              *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                Little work today
                by ssms5411
                Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                2 weeks ago
              • LETZRIDE
                Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X