black paint and scratches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• black paint and scratches

well it was nice out today so I decided to wash my car, i have only had it since april and it had some blemishes when I first bought it, (shoulda payed more attention to detail when buying a used car) anyway all the nasty weather we have had in the past 2 months has made trying to keep it clean a neverending job so today I gave it a good cleaning and once I was done I got to see all the little scratches and such in the paint. now most seem to be in the clearcoat but there are a few that seem to go into the paint, with the car being black and me being a bit of a perfectionist I was thinking about maybe trying some of the turtle wax color match stuff.
    now to the question:
    what I am wondering is has anyone with a black car tried this stuff or have first hand knowldege of it? I have a friend that works at advance autoparts and he suggested it. I am a little skeptical but he has seen some very satisfied customers.. so???
    *note* oah one last thing yes I know this isn't the best way to get rid of the blemishes but if it will help some I am willing to try it since it's not very expensive espically compared to having the whole d@mn thing repainted
    -Brad
    98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
    2000 V-Star Custom 1100
    If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
    :rock:

Well I could help you, but I don't have a black car. Guess you're SOL.
    <b>« Red <i><a href=\"http://sandman.v8tec.com\" target=\"_blank\">Firebird</a></i> »</b>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by The Sandman:
      Well I could help you, but I don't have a black car. Guess you're SOL.<hr></blockquote>

well sir,
      the reason I asked about people with black cars is that different colors of paint react differently to different treatments. White cars are the easiest to work with due to the fact that it is easier to blend in little imperfections, silver has it's own problems caused by metal used in the paint to give the color reflecting sunlight and causing premature fading, red while looking really good when it is shined up has a tendency to fade much more if not kept waxed and clean, now for black there is a whole set of problems due to the fact that a true black does not reflect light but all the little scratches in the paint and clearcoat just bend light all kinds of different ways making them very visible and all these different colors will react differently to different treatments. Auctually the biggest problem with keeping a modern black vehicle looking good is caused by the clearcoat and the way light reflects off of it. As for the part where I am asking for first hand knowledge is because there is alot of heresay that goes on informational boards such as this. While I do trust the opinions of many here I do not trust the old "well I know a guy who knows a guy who tried that and I think it didn't work"
      Now if you have something constructive to say I am all ears if not would you please be so kind as to keep responses such as those you have made above to yourself.

thank you
      Brad
      -Brad
      2000 V-Star Custom 1100

Comment

I would try some Zaino Z5 first.
        Zaino Bros'
        y87, GFX pkg, 5 spoke chrome rims, and 20% tint, 69 chrome camaro fender emblems, 2 3/4 inch cowl hood, built 3.8 series 2 motor(all forged),Heads and Cam, race prep trans, 3200 stall, full exhaust, and some suspension work.

Comment

i hav a black car with scrahes and i tried that it worked ok got out some scratches i liked iti just bought some gs-27 that works i will let you know how it goes
          1998 Jet Black Trans-am M6 T-tops<br />\"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find: knock and it shall be opened unto you:-Matthew 7:7<br />Old car<br /><a href=\"http://matthew27529.tripod.com/getsome\" target=\"_blank\">http://matthew27529.tripod.com/getsome</a><br />NEW CAR<br /><a href=\"http://garnerebel.tripod.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://garnerebel.tripod.com/</a>

Comment

I have a black car, and I love the look of black and I do enjoy detailing it. I've only used Zaino products since day 1. The shine and finish is great. I would suggest that you try some Zaino, the Z5 like mentioned above. The Z5 is a scratch and swirl remover, so over time it helps conceal the imperfections in the paint clearcoat. What is great about Zaino is that is it nonabrasive so with the right technique and application it will not cause anymore scratces than you already have. There is another product that is recommended by many people, but I have not personally used it, but I'm sure some people can shed some information about this product eventhough they don't own a black car. (Yes I'm talking to you Sandman) It is called 3M Swirl Remover. It is an abrasive product so I would try the less abrasive route with Zaino. Just remember, scratches and swirls do not go away over night. It takes some times and patience to get the paint looking great again.
            Gooodluck!
            ~Jen
            ~Jennifer~<p>« Black 2002 WS6 » <br />¤ Flowmaster 80 <br />¤ Painted Calipers | Black / Silver Decals<br />¤ 5% Tint | All Around<br />¤ Zaino | =)

Comment

well I was considering zaino some time ago but just don't have 2 or 3 days to get enough coats of polish on my car, now I see this zfx stuff. no more waiting is what I have been waiting for :D ....
              yeah I have come to the conclusion that it is going to take time.. quite a bit.. I was quite bent out of shape last night when I made the post, it just sucks when you wash your car to make it look better and you turn around and the paint looks no better.. thanks for the info and all the fast responses.

[ December 29, 2001: Message edited by: black98V6 ]</p>
              -Brad
              2000 V-Star Custom 1100

Comment

So &gt; you assume that *only* people with black cars will (only) know how to detail black cars. Smart.
                <b>« Red <i><a href=\"http://sandman.v8tec.com\" target=\"_blank\">Firebird</a></i> »</b>

Comment

I use zymol car wax on my car and i find that that takes out a lot of the swirl marks. Also i have had some deep skratches that i have buffed out with gs-27 it takes and long time and many applications but it will take any scratch out. Hope that helps.
                  Bandit5<br />Black 1999 Camaro V6<br />Sports Appearance<br />Eibach Pro Kit

Comment

Brad,

I have a black car and I highly recommend 3M's 39002 swirl remover for dark color cars. Though nothing can make a scratch disappear, this stuff can definately cover it. Then finish it off by waxing it.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X