clearing your own lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clearing your own lens

Does anyone know how to clear the rear side markers(red ones near the back) yourself. I've heard it can be done, is this true?
    Thanks,
    Camarochic [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
    <b>97 Black T-top Camaro ~ Sold</b>

I've heard of a few talented guys from the CZ board making side markers up. I've never seen it before myself. The one guy that comes to mind is Doc21 at CZ. If anyone knows about that, he would. Look him up in the MI section. And yes, he's a nice guy. I don't think that he'll knock you for the V6.

Steve
    FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Administrator
    Stupid is rewarded with the ban button.
    Official Avatar Nazi according to Meatyshells :D

Comment

I posted this awhile back on CamaroZ28.com and got a response, I saved you the trouble [img]smile.gif[/img]

1. go to home depot and buy the clear material for lighting. It's acrylic, costs about $6

2. take your old housing off and trace the pattern onto the clear material. Use something that you can wipe off later.

3. put some clear packaging tape over the areas you want to cut, and using a jigsaw with the finest blad you can find, cut out the pattern. Be sure to go really slowly or you might crack the material.

4. Break the orange lense off of your housing. I used a utility knife to cut right where the lense meets the housing and it began seperating with a little effort. Go around the housing like this until the whole thing is removed. It will take a little effort in some places.

5. sand down the housing, making sure all orange material is removed. (it will show through the clear material if not removed). There is a piece of shiny material that you will have to trim so that the clear material will sit flush on the housing (you will see what i mean when you take off the lense).

6. Test your pattern that you cut out. You will have to leave some overhang towards the front of the housing (look at stock lense to see what i mean). Sand down the edges to make them smooth.

7. Sand the back side of the clear material along the edge where it will fit up against the housing. (the material is very rough on the backside and won't adhere to the housing if surface is too rough).

8. Once you make sure everything is nice and fits right, use a hair dryer or heat gun (be careful not to overheat) to heat up the material so it becomes a little pliable. This will let the material bend and conform to the curve of the housing, and when it cools, it will keep the shape. Some people put the stuff in the over for a while to make it pliable. When heated enough, shape it to the housing, and use some tape or string and wrap the two pieces together and let them cool down. Again, this will let the clear material keep the curve of the housing.

9. Once cooled, untie or untape and use some clear ADHESIVE caulk and apply it to the edge of the housing. Use a good amount to take up any ununiform surfaces of the two pieces. Apply the clear material and use tape or string again to keep the two pieces together. Let the adhesive dry and then you're done.

10. reinstall
      2002 NBM Firehawk #312 | <a href=\"http://hawk.visionsconnect.com\" target=\"_blank\">hawk.visionsconnect.com</a>

Comment

id rather buy the already manufactured ones than go through w/ that....

Comment

Same with me! Except they don't make them for Firebirds so you must follow this method.
          2002 NBM Firehawk #312 | <a href=\"http://hawk.visionsconnect.com\" target=\"_blank\">hawk.visionsconnect.com</a>

Comment

Yeah....goodness lotta steps :eek: this is for the little red ones on the sides near the back? anyway I think I'm going to try it what the heck :D ;) Thanks for the info epic! Did you try it yet?

~Camarochic [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

[ March 13, 2002: Message edited by: camarochic ]</p>

Comment

does this actually re-place the red lens?
              ~Camarochic [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

Comment

These steps are for my amber corners on my bird. I'm sure they'd work for clearing any lense [img]smile.gif[/img]

Don't blame me if something doesn't turn out right - I haven't tried em yet, but I did just get my second set of ambers so I'm going to be trying to do this next month. Good luck! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

Comment

It would take so much effort to make the lenses look clear without looking homemade. Just buck up and buy them. Those instructions are for the front corners BTW [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/dunce.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
                  - JT3<br />1998 Red V6 Camaro Y87 Y3F - J.E.T. Chip Stage II - Clear Parking Lights - Removed Grill - K&N - Whisper Lid - !FRA MOD - MAF Screen Removed - Pro 5.0 - Pacesetter Headers - Magnaflow Catback - 32mm Front Swaybar - And A System(bump bump)

Comment

Hey i have a set of them and do not like the way they look on a white car. If someone wants to trade i will be more than willing if you pay shipping for both. I have the front ones and the back "sidemarkers" Drop me an email if your interested or wanna see some pics. If someone will give me a place to host ill put them up for your viewing pleasure.
                    AIS 2 OHH the memories... Great times and putting names with faces.<p>From \"interesting\" hooters waitress(Did you guys FLY ? ) to pissing BMW owners off on the ride home. To ending up in Philidelphia and USING (hahaha) an ice machine. I had a BLAST.<p>Thanxs to all that showed up!!

Comment

Yah! :D sent you mail about the rear clear side maker ones....i'm needing some! [img]smile.gif[/img]
                      Thanks,
                      Camarochic

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by whtefbrd96:
                        Hey i have a set of them and do not like the way they look on a white car. If someone wants to trade i will be more than willing if you pay shipping for both. I have the front ones and the back "sidemarkers" Drop me an email if your interested or wanna see some pics. If someone will give me a place to host ill put them up for your viewing pleasure.<hr></blockquote>

send me the pics, i'll host them
                        <a href=\"http://www.velocitysix.com/\" target=\"_blank\">Velocity Six Car Club</a><p>1999 Pontiac Firebird A4<br />15.384@87.13mph

Comment

I have homemade clears on my bird.. Ive been meaning to get some pics.

just incase you might try that, good luck on getting plexi to stick on the front 93-97 firebird cornes, wont work.
                          <a href=\"http://www.redlinevsix.com/blackbird.html\" target=\"_blank\">Blackbird</a><br />RedLineVSix Co-Vice President <br /><a href=\"http://www.RedLineVSix.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.RedLineVSix.com</a><p>BlackBird903@hotmail.com<p>AIM: Alpinestar05

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X