Brake Caliper painting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Caliper painting...

Okay, I just bought some new rims that are going to show off my brakes A LOT more.

So I want to paint my calipers...

Here's the thing... If I paint my calipers with a few coats of black and then a few coats of clear coat and put on some Firebird decals, can I then put a coat of clearcoat over that, so I don't have to worry about the decals coming off when I wash my car, or if a heavy stream of water is sprayed at them?

Also, what color should I paint them? I was thinking just black and silver decals...
    Justin<br /><a href=\"http://www.bass482.com/firebird/index.html\" target=\"_blank\"> 2000 Black Firebird A4 Y87<br /></a>170.2rwhp/203rwtq (SAE Corrected)

I'd paint them red or black, and I recommend not painting the backsides of the pads and doing it slowly.

You can clearcoat over the stickers, just do it slowly and let the EXTREMELY THIN coats dry so you don't saturate the stickers... It will prevent them from coming loose later on [img]smile.gif[/img]
    2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
    Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

I personally love red Calipers on a black car.....I've painted mine...Didn't really take any precautions and just used ole' cheapo Wal Mart paint. Looks great over a year of driving with it done...I'd just put the stickers right on it after you're all done with your clearcoat...I wouldn't even waste the time or money with the clearcoat though. Just take your time and do it right...... :D

Comment

I painted mine black, but they just look like the stock metal color full of break dust and you can't see them well, so I went with bright blue. Much better.
        1997 Chevrolet Camaro v6 - 13.8@104MPH
        1997 Dodge Viper GTS

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by AZ3.8Camaro:
          I painted mine black, but they just look like the stock metal color full of break dust and you can't see them well, so I went with bright blue. Much better.<hr></blockquote>

I did the same thing and don't like mine either. Only problem I have is that pewter is hard to match a color to. I am having a custom stripe kit made this week in dk. charcoal metallic and black metallic so my theme are those colors. I want to repaint the calipers....any suggestions on colors besides black or red??
          2000 Pewter Metallic Formula M6 <br /><br /><a href=\"http://flaminbird.smugmug.com\" target=\"_blank\">My 2000 Formula</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Pewter2k Formula:
            any suggestions on colors besides black or red?? <hr></blockquote>

A silver metallic would compliment nicely.
            2000 GTP<br />Thrasher CAI, 3.4\" pulley, DHP PCM<br />Member RedLineVSix<br />Best ET-14.02<br />Best Trap-97.15

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by John D.:

A silver metallic would compliment nicely.
              <hr></blockquote>

I might just do that [img]smile.gif[/img] . I saw a pic last night of a silver bird with silver metallic calipers and it looked really good. Thanks :D
              2000 Pewter Metallic Formula M6 <br /><br /><a href=\"http://flaminbird.smugmug.com\" target=\"_blank\">My 2000 Formula</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Bass482:
                Also, what color should I paint them? I was thinking just black and silver decals...<hr></blockquote>

Well Ive painted my calipers several colors, red, silver, charcoal and black just to name a few. I wouldnt waste my time on silver since they basically are already silver. The color I settled on long ago was black for the calipers with brushed chrome Trans Am decals. Even though its not as flashy as red or yellow or blue they look great and get compliments all the time. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]

I didnt clear coat them or anything and also used the $0.88 Wal_mart paint. They still look as good as the day I put the decals on them. No matter what people say, truth is you dont need High temp paint for the calipers.

-------------
                1995 Firebird A4
                2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X