Need help with removal and re-install of GFX - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with removal and re-install of GFX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with removal and re-install of GFX

Today I got owned by a curb (it jumped out and bit my car).

The front of the side GFX (driver's side, just behind the front wheel) has pulled away a little from the fender. I can see the ground effects sitting on the little black "rail" that is meant to hold the GFX on, but I cannot get the GFX to go completely back in place over the "rail."

I'm thinking of taking off the GFX completely and reinstalling it anew.

I see there are little screws underneath, and what looks like two plastic rivets inside the wheel well.

QUESTIONS:
    1. How do I remove the plastic "rivets"?
    2. What do I replace the "rivets" with when I am reinstalling the GFX?
    3. What else besides the "rivets" and the screws underneath has to come off to remove the GFX? (I'm pretty sure there's some two-faced tape involved somewhere also).

Thanks for any and all help.
    I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
    CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
    FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

I took pliers to the plastic rivets... and haven't gotten around to buying new ones yet. I'm not sure of a good way to get those things off. As far as how it's held on, there is double sided tape that holds it on the part behind the door. The railing below the door, and in front of the door, holds the rest of it in place. Just undo the screws from underneath, and then it all lifts upwards out of the railing. You just need to be careful not to scratch the side of the car, because the railing holds it pretty tight up against the car. Hope this helps.
    2000 Red Firebird W68

Comment

Hehehe, when i bought my car, I didn't look it over very well(too amazed that i was getting a camaro). Those little rivets that you are talking about were not on my car. Instead there was a huge azs lag bolt in place. To be exact 9/16"x1 3/4" bolt. I pulled it out to put the plastic back in but it was too late. The hole was made too big. So now it says forever.
      96 Camaro RS A4 T-tops<br />Loudmouth <br />and other audio mods

Comment

I didn't have the W68 Package when I bought my car, so my dad called the guys at the Montreal installation plant (work buddies) and they said they'd put the kit on for free (a favour). I got to see how the OEM guys do it. Those individual rails are pop rivited on, guess they'll have to be drilled out :( They fastened them on underneath with self-tapping screws and pop rivits, depending on the area. The two-sided tape was just to hold the kit in place while they mounted it, no real significance.

Any other questions just ask I have pictures of the install too.

-Andrew
        1998 NBM Pontiac Firebird - LS1/T56 Swap | Pro-Kit Springs & Bilstein HD\'s | BMR LCA\'s | LG Adj. PHR | T-top Conversion | <br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/battyv6\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/battyv6</a>

Comment

do this.. drill the old rivets out. run to autozone and puck up some 1 inch interior screws. they make a perfect fit and hold the gfx nicely.. i have done many curb checks and i have the RS package.. but the screws will defianalty hold

Comment

Hey BattyV6, would you please email the pics? My email is address is in my profile.

Thanks very much.

Comment

I fixed it; very easy.

I drilled out the middle of the plastic rivets and pulled them out.I removed the screws underneath with a 1/4" socket wrench. The GFX went back on the rail holder easily. A few light taps from a 12" sledge hammer (covered with a cloth) seated the GFX back down all the way in the rails.

The screws then went back in. The rivets were replaced with plastic panel trim retainers from Discount Auto Parts (made by Dorman, part #45491 or 701-365).

Everything is back in its original place now and very secure.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X