Who here installed their own racing stripes? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who here installed their own racing stripes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who here installed their own racing stripes?

My kit should be coming in soon, and I would like some pointers on the installation process. Are there measurements to go by? What kind of solution should I use, and should I strip the wax on the body sections that will be covered?
    Anything will help.
    Thanx!

-Marc
    sigpic

ok i installed mine myself. with the help of my dad. you will want somebody to help you. what kit did you get. is it like the RKSport one.s or do they go all the way to the front grill. i don't much care for those. anyway. use about 2 drops of Dawn in a spray bottle. fill it with water then shake really good. clean off where you are gonna put them on. then use masking tape to kinda fit them where you want them to go. so you will kinda have an outline. then spray the back of the decal and where you are gonna put it on with the spray bottle. be generous. your gonna need like a plastic scraper like they use is body work. about .50 cents at Napa. anyway lay down the stripe but not hard. slide it to where you want it to go then press in a couple spots so it stays. don't press to hard. then use the scraper to push the water out from the top of the hood down.then use like a blow dryer to heat up the decal a bit. then start pulling the wax paper backing off. make sure you do this slowly. it may pull up the decal. you don't want to stretch them. then continue all the way down until your done. you will get air or water bubbles in them. it's gonna happen. the best way to get rid of these is an exacto knife. or model car knife. put a little poke in the bottom of the bubble and push the water out . this takes time. so don't rush it. i hope that helps. god now my hands hurt from typing. oh well it's ok as long as it helps you get it done right [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
    Custom Ram Air, High flow cat, Dynomax cat back exhaust, high flow air box. More to come. hopefully Cam:D

Comment

Cool...Thanx!!!
      The kit I bought is "sorta-kinda"like the Bad Attitude stripes from RK Sport, but they need to be custom cut. The guy selling them told me that they fit the nose and hood like stock, but are in two parts that are 10ft lenghts each. Pictured here http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...407921724&rd=1
      The kit I bought is for 93-97's, not the 98+ that is pictured.
      Thanx again for the post, I just printed it out, and believe me...I'll study it when I go out to do the install.

-Marc
      sigpic

Comment

I did mine :D . Was pretty easy....just time consuming. And like CamaroGuy said that you'll get air bubbles. The sun will also get the bulk of the bubbles out. THe heat of the sun shrinks them. I had a ton of bubbles but a week later they were all gone! I did poke alot of them with a pin before hand also.

Only thing I did different then him was what the decal shop told me that made my kit.....after the stripe is in place generously wet the paperbacking before you remove it. It makes it very soft so it doesnt pull so hard on the decal underneath.

Oh and also use rubbing alcohol to remove any wax or polish before you do anything
        2000 Pewter Metallic Formula M6 <br /><br /><a href=\"http://flaminbird.smugmug.com\" target=\"_blank\">My 2000 Formula</a>

Comment

Sorry about that. your right PewterFormula. do spray down the paper to make it softer. i totally forgot about that. it makes it MUCH easier. and deffinately get off the wax. But i hope it comes out good. just take you time. i want to emphasize that. and i managed to get air bubbles but very small ones. i ended up popping most and let the sun get the rest [img]smile.gif[/img] . anyway. good luck
          Custom Ram Air, High flow cat, Dynomax cat back exhaust, high flow air box. More to come. hopefully Cam:D

Comment

Thanks Pewter2kformula and camaro_guy00. I'm looking forward to this. Hopefully it goes well. I have SOOO many parts I accumulated over the winter that is awaiting warmer installation hours, I'll be working on my car for days!

-Marc
            sigpic

Comment

I did mine pretty much the same as they said above... only other tip I have to offer is just make sure that you don't get the stripe wet before removing the paper on the sticky side of the stripe. I got part of it wet, and a layer of the paper stuck to the sticky side of the stripe. I managed to get it really wet, and got it peeled off, and the decal ended up sticking ok, but it's just a pain to have to try to get it off.
              2000 Red Firebird W68

Comment

yeah you got to be careful with the $160 bucks stripes :D

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by TurboKillaZ:
                  yeah you got to be careful with the $160 bucks stripes :D <hr></blockquote>

I guess I don't have to worry so much, my kit only ran me $47 altogether.
                  WoooHooo! And I JUST them in!!

-Marc
                  sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X