Removable Hard Top?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removable Hard Top?

Anyone think a removable hard top is possible? Not like a T-Top where there's the body panel on the top of the car in-between the 2 tops, but as in, a hard top, that comes off. Any ideas? Anyone done it?
    2002 Pontiac Firebird<br />Black, Coupe, Automatic<p>Mods:<br />Dual FlowMaster Exhaust w/ 3\" Chrome Tips

I don't know too much about this stuff, but I think that would make the body of the car flex even more. The bar that separates the T-tops is probably one of the only things that prevents major body-flex on the F-body T-top cars. Some beefy subframe connectors might help prevent body-flex,... I imagine you'd have to set it up like a convertible (I have no idea what the convertibles have in them that keep them from flexing), but this would add some major weight to the car. I know the convertibles are heavier than the hard top/T-top cars due to this problem. I doubt anyone would want to add a couple 100 extra pounds just to eliminate the bar in the middle IMO. :(

[ May 04, 2002: Message edited by: Jana ]</p>
    Jana<br />-Black,1996 3800 V6 Camaro with T-tops, Powerdyne 6 psi. SC, intercooled, front mounted ATI air to air two core intercooler, K&N Air Filter, Suncoast Ram Air Hood, Z-Style, with Air Box, Four wheel disk brakes conversion, with LS1 front brake conversion, 3.42 Gears, Cross drilled directional Rotors, BMR Strut Tower Brace, Flowmaster 80 Series muffler with 2.5\" inlet, and 3\" outlet, dual, chrome exhaust tips (soon to be full Flowmaster Thunder Series Catback with Pacesetter Headers), Stock LT1 Formula sway bars (soon to be 1LE\'s all around), 17 x 9 ZR1/SS chrome rims, with Firestone Firehawk 275/40/17 tires, Bilstein SLP valved shocks, Eibach springs, SLP Subframe connectors, BMR adjustable Torque Arm, 1LE Aluminum driveshaft, Taillight cover black-outs, Turn signal black-outs, Custom 3800 V6 decal, Off-road pipe, 160 Thermostat, SLP Fan Control Switch, B&M Transmision pan, B&M Shift Plus, Herb Adams solid adjustable PHR, etc.<br />-Soon to be added, headers, lightweight k-member.<br />-All thanks to my wonderful, supportive boyfriend, Rob, with the red hot 94 Firehawk Formula at: <a href=\"http://www.robshawk.com\" target=\"_blank\">Rob\'s Hawk</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.robshawk.com/Jana/Camaro/\" target=\"_blank\">Jana\'s Camaro</a>

Comment

yeah but how sweet would it be to have targa top on an F body!!! that would be a one of a kind..It can be done id bet.you would have to invest in some subframe connectors and other bracing parts as well of some kind of bracing for the wind shield

i dont know but it would be awesome

Jeff W

Comment

i'm guessing you have the financial backing of bill gates to pull this off?

Comment

Anyone else got any opinions on this matter? I think I'll look into this a little more... I'd really love to have a targa top. :D lol
          2002 Pontiac Firebird<br />Black, Coupe, Automatic<p>Mods:<br />Dual FlowMaster Exhaust w/ 3\" Chrome Tips

Comment

I saw a guy do this with a corvette top. Sorry no pics, but it is possible, you will need a roll cage.
            -Steve

Comment

Well, if you were to use a reconditioned Corvette targa top the whole conversion would cost around $2,000+. Remember, these are just estimates... If you did it using your existing roof panel it would cost $1,500+. Then you gotta pay to get beefed up chassis parts... which could cost god knows how much, lol. I dunno... just for the fact that it'd look totally awesome and be completely unique, I think it's worth it; but, then again, that's just me. :D lol

Comment

No, it cant be done. The Frame was not designed for it. The bar across the middle of the top of the car ( where T-Tops join together ) is a VERY important part of the frame. You should never do something to the frame of a car that was never designed to be done. T-Tops were part of the design of the car and all cars have the T-Top cross bar, so this is an option, but not a targa top.

~Brian
                NEW 2002 Onyx Black SS Camaro<br />M6, leather, T-tops, Hurst shifter<p>sold: 1999 Pewter V6 A4 Camaro

Comment

I figure if you wanted to do this, you would be better off getting a convertible and making a hardtop for it. Kinda like the miatas and C4 Corvettes. I have thought about doing this... The most feasable way would be to chop the top off of another camaro/firebird and en have a window attached at the rear where the hatch glass normally would fit...., doing this though would significantly increase the weight to my already fat convertible....

I am interested in any ideas you all may have. [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
                  I\'m getting too old to have to choke the **** out of you

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DeathBuzzz:
                    No, it cant be done.<hr></blockquote>
                    yes, it can
                    <blockquote>quote:</font><hr> The Frame was not designed for it. The bar across the middle of the top of the car ( where T-Tops join together ) is a VERY important part of the frame. You should never do something to the frame of a car that was never designed to be done. T-Tops were part of the design of the car and all cars have the T-Top cross bar, so this is an option, but not a targa top.

~Brian
                    <hr></blockquote>

true, but it IS possible and it DOES work.

If you sturdy the frame enough, it will work

IMO it's not worth it, but if you are a show car and want to be completley unique then this would be a good start.
                    -Steve

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Domestic Violence:
                      i'm guessing you have the financial backing of bill gates to pull this off?<hr></blockquote>

If he was Bill Gates (or had the $$ as he did)....

im sure he wouldnt own and Fbody........

anyhow, some C4 vettes have the targa top. Just take your car to a custom body shop and see if they can give you a price quote.

[ May 07, 2002: Message edited by: black97cam ]</p>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by v6maro:

true, but it IS possible and it DOES work.

If you sturdy the frame enough, it will work

IMO it's not worth it, but if you are a show car and want to be completley unique then this would be a good start.
                        -Steve
                        <hr></blockquote>

Yea, i really should have said it wasnt feasable( spelling? ). In reality you could do almost anything to a cars frame if you reinforced it a lot in other places. It would be unique, but IMHO not even near worth it.

~Brian
                        NEW 2002 Onyx Black SS Camaro<br />M6, leather, T-tops, Hurst shifter<p>sold: 1999 Pewter V6 A4 Camaro

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X