rims tires rotors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rims tires rotors

so i just picked up some nice 18 inch chrome rims. eagle alloys. with 275/35/r18 yokohama tires.

my problem now is my calipers are not rusted, but look worn and just kinda that old look. and my rotor has surface rust on it (not the part that the brake pad touches but the part closest to the wheel) how do i take care of this? do i just have cheap rotors? what about the covers you can put behind the wheel that covers the caliper and rotor?

What car/year do you have? 3rd gen, 4th gen?
    No matter what, I'd rebuild the caliper, repaint it, then put some ceramic pads in them to keep those new wheels from getting dirty.

As for the rotors; They are going to get rust on them no matter what. Even the zinc covered rotors get rust on them in some spots. How old are they? If you're upgrading to new wheels, you may want to think about replacing the old rotors...especially if they are stock and/or over 10 years old.

I personally will not EVER use dust shields. The rotors heat up quite a bit, and the openings in your rims allow cool air to hit the rotors and keep them from overheating. If you cover them air-holes up by installing the dust shields, you risk warping your rotors. They have vented dust shields, but I still don't trust them...JMO
    sigpic

Comment

i have a 4th gen firebird. i just replaced the pads and rotors 4 months ago. so thats why i didnt know why i was getting rust buildup. thanks for the tips tho ill stay away from the dust shield. i just dont want nice rims and tires and then old nast lookin calipers and rotors.

Comment

just clean and paint them. If nothing else, spray some brake cleaner, scrub, and then paint both parts. Pull your rotors and mask off the area that your pad contacts.
        \'98 Camaro V6<br />Appearance... pleasing<br />Performance... just a little extra air.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
          Little work today
          by ssms5411
          Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
          2 weeks ago
        • LETZRIDE
          Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
          by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
          Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
          By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
          Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
          02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X