Door pin issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door pin issues

So I have a 2002 Camaro and Im having issues with the driver's door. If the door opens all the way out, it gets stuck when I try to close it again. When I push on the outside door, it makes a nasty pop and then it closes.

Upon inspecting the door, i noticed the lower pin has a circle that is out of round. Pics of it are below...

My question is: How do I change this, and is it an easy job to do, or will it take the whole day? All help is appreciated.

Re: Door pin issues

Mines about the same. I just keep white lithium grease on hand.
    help me build the ultimate sleeper soon ill have a lot more mods than i can list and watch out for the spikes. 02 firebird

Comment

So there's no real solution? The fact that the door gets stuck when it's opened wide isn't very comforting.

Comment

Like badbird, on my 00 camaro I just kept it greased up. The "catching" went away with some grease.
        96 Camaro M5. Dark metallic gree (?dont know the offical color name)<br />Home made Intake :: Headers, 3inch headers back to Flowmaster muffler :: spec stage 3 clutch Now installed, waiting for 3.42\'s and LSD next month<br /><a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/RiceEatingCamaro/?action=view&current=newcar.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a> <br /><br />Totalled Car.<br /><a href=\"http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/k/sk8er305/\" target=\"_blank\">96 CamaroRS</a>

Comment

I fabbed up a new one my lathe out of brass. Replaced gm plastic junk with old school technology. Nothing special really. Maybe you could have a local machine shop make you one. Start to finish was about an hour and I don't get in a rush either.

Comment

Is it me or does it look out of line?

Comment

Originally posted by 2.8 Bird View Post
              Is it me or does it look out of line?
              I think it is, and I think others just think it's simply out of round but the noise seems to be either the pin or the circle going back in line and allowing the door to move. It gets really annoying and sometimes the door needs force to go back in line, which I don't like doing since i don't want to mess up my door.

Comment

You just run to the junkyard and get one from there. It should be easy to open that all way and to close it.

Comment

Do I need to hold up the door when taking the door hinge off, or should I hold it up with a spare tire or whatever at the junkyard?

Comment

Originally posted by Nas Escobar View Post
                    Do I need to hold up the door when taking the door hinge off, or should I hold it up with a spare tire or whatever at the junkyard?

I haven't removed the doors from my fbodies, but I did for my truck before and yes it does take two people to do it. I guess if you can use those spare tires why not. I remember those bolts were high tension and I had to use a grease spray to loosen them up and a 2 foot metal pipe as a leverage for my wrench. By the looks of it you may need to remove the bolts from the door first and then that should give some clearance to remove the ones from the body. Take that whole bracket and replace yours with it. Of course, put some grease on that once you are finish.

Good luck.
                    Last edited by 2.8 Bird; 04-06-2014, 03:39 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I figured that I would need the whole thing and not just the pin.

Do you know if those bolts are torqued on?

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk.

Comment

Originally posted by Nas Escobar View Post
                        Yeah, I figured that I would need the whole thing and not just the pin.

Do you know if those bolts are torqued on?

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk.

I would assume those bolts are torqued on an fbody or tight since it took a 2' metal to remove it.

IMO it is better to remove the whole bracket rather than just the pin. I think it's easier too.

One thing I've noticed from what I've seen people do with their 4th gen and even 3rd gen is they sit on their doors when it is fully opened. This will definitely do the damage.

Comment

Originally posted by 2.8 Bird View Post
                          I would assume those bolts are torqued on an fbody or tight since it took a 2' metal to remove it.

IMO it is better to remove the whole bracket rather than just the pin. I think it's easier too.

One thing I've noticed from what I've seen people do with their 4th gen and even 3rd gen is they sit on their doors when it is fully opened. This will definitely do the damage.
                          I was pissed and slammed mine.

Sitting on an open door... now that's just ridiculous.

Comment

sitting on an f-body door? wtf?

Comment

http://www.top-downsolutions.com/Bod...and-roller-kit

Lon Salgren at Top-Down Solutions has repair parts for F-body door hinges. I replaced the pin and the detent roller on my third gen a few years ago. This roller and pin is replaceable but be careful that pretty strong spring. It took me about an hour but I basically rebuilt me hinges because the door was sagging almost an inch at the latch.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X