For-Real Ram Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For-Real Ram Air

I put one of RKSport's fiberglass, replica SS hoods on my 01 last month.

A couple of days ago, I was out road testing on a run to make sure my calibration was going to work with nitrous but, before I even hit the bottle, I noted the engine was lean. So I went back to the shop.

I looking at my HPTuners' VCM Scanner logs and thinking about this for a while, I decided that the RKSport's hood cold air induction works so well that even at highways speeds its functionality is causing the engine to run lean at WOT.

I went in with VCM Editor and changed the high end of the MAF cal by 5-6% and Viola! I was back at .85-.87 Lambda.

5-6% increase in airflow is a lot. I was amazed that an SS hood could make that much difference at 60-80-mph.

With the revised calibration, I made a few test runs with my Nitrous Supply system. I'm almost ready to go back to the chassis dyno and run the nitrous there.

Re: For-Real Ram Air

Did you get to record the change in CFM from the maf tables?

I've got a WS6 hood waiting to go on mine, but it'll be feeding a turbo lol!

Comment

I did not record the changes in each cell. I would have figure that from the before and after MAF tables and I don't have the time. I can tell you in general it was 5-6% increase in airflow.

Using HPT, I can generate a table of the changes. I did that for you but, on this site, I can't post images directly to a forum post on this site unless the image I have for you is already on the web, which it is not.

Email me at finspeed@netmotive.net and I'll send you the image.

Keep in mind that our induction systems are vastly different and my hood is a 'glass replica. My numbers might not be valid for your application, but...it's a starting point. You'll need to take some data as to lambda error with each hood to find out how much of a difference it makes for your car.
      Last edited by Hib Halverson; 12-14-2013, 09:01 AM.

Comment

The thing is though, you won't see the same results on the chassis dyno unless you have a big enough fan to replicate wind speeds at 60-80 mph on the roads. SS and WS6 hoods have always added a small amount of power, but it's unmeasurable because it requires the car to actually be moving.
        aka FreedStyle
        Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
        2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

My testing was not done on a chassis dyno.

it was done on the road using a Innovate Motorsports wide-band. I took lambda error data and applied that to the existing MAF cal.

My shop is at sea level and the test road was in the nearby hills on a section of uphill highway. It's a great place to do WOT tests in third gear.

Testing showed the engine at high MAF frequencies was 5-6% lean. Making a 5-6% change brought the engine back to .85-.87 lambda.

When I go run on the chassis dyno in a few weeks, the fans I'll have won't force enough air to simulate highway speed so I'll either just let it run rich or change the cal.

Comment

Ram Air hoods are good, but ram air kit is even better. I have a ram air hood, but it wasn't till I got the ram air kit did I really feel the difference and the filter is always dirty.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X