Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoration

So the guy that I bought this car off of, did absolutly zero maintenance- never had the car undersprayed, but it looks like he also never drove it in the winter.

So, right now I have surface rust all over the underneath of the car, but nothing that goes through. My plan is to drop it off at a local shop here over the winter and have them run a wirewheel across the bottom, then paint it up.

What are your recommendations for painting the bottom of the car? A local paint shop recommended DOM16, but I have heard mixed reviews. I have heard that that stuff needs to be applied to rusty pieces, not clean metal (which we are hoping to get the car to, is clean metal)

Basically, I want to stop any rust, rid any/all that I can and make sure it never rusts again. After whatever paint/primer/coating goes on, I'll rust check it in the spring.

Suggestions?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Re: Restoration

The POR-15 system is good. I would poke around with a screwdriver before you do it however. I thought I had "surface" rust and it ended up being all the way through. I paid some professionals to fix it and they were reasonable enough.

DO NOT GET THAT STUFF ON YOUR SKIN!! Where a gas mask as well, the fumes may not seem bad but they are terrible for you.

Comment

I heard POR-15 is the same deal, it only really adheres to rust surfaces, and not ones that have been cleaned.

Comment

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/af...ml#post5655369
        Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

I still have my reserves about it, because there are a number of areas that wont be roughed up, so I can't see POR-15 sticking.

What about using tremclad? as long as I am undercoating the vehicle from this point forward should it be an issue?

Comment

You are right if you just put POR-15 on it, it wont stick. You have too buy the other prep products along with it. Just remember any un-roughed up surface will not adhere, prep work is always necessary.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X