Help with rattle in door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with rattle in door

In my '01 Camaro, I'm having a rattle in the door that sounds like plastic not a metal rattle. On every hole or uneven pavement, I can hear it pretty loud.

The thing is, that black screw right above the door handle on the inside of the door does not screw on, it just goes straight through, so I'm thinking that this is probably where the rattle comes from. They did some work on my car before and since then that screw won't screw on.

Does anyone know what that screw screws into in the back of the door panel? I'm thinking whatever it screws in has been lowered in the door and it rattles.

Re: Help with rattle in door

There's 3 screws in the door panel, and 12 or so clips around the outside. Bandit screws into a large piece of white plastic. I would also check speaker covers, speaker mounts, your bar that moves when you lock/unlock the door, possibly even a loose regulator or motor...

Comment

Docta,

It is the black one screw right above the door handle when you look at the door handle from the driver's side. That one screws into a large piece of white plastic?

And the sound of the rattling is like it is not on the inside so it's not any of the speaker covers or anything. It sounds like you know a deaf sound of a plastic piece rattling..

Comment

There should be two on top. And yes, those two and the one on the bottom side of the handle go into plastic.

Comment

Have you had the panel off yet? I had my door panel off so many times, I could get it off and back on in less than 5 minutes. Just the three screws as mentioned, pull the door handle bezel out and twist off, then just pull up and out on the panel. Peel back the plastic and take a look in the door cavity. There may be something loose in there rattling around. There is very little metal in the door as they are composite, so even it's something metal rattling around, it wouldn't be a metal to metal sound.
          sigpic
          1996 Chevrolet Camaro
          1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
          --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

I myself haven't taken it off yet but I will tomorrow as the sound is very annoying...there is probably something that is loose, whatever that top screw is supposed to screw into and hold together. Ever since they did some work on my car opening the door panel, I've had this problem.

Comment

The top screw doesn't really do anything beyond hold the bezel in place. It's likely not the source of the noise. They strip very easily; I wouldn't be concerned about it. I jammed a few match sticks in there now and again to help it grab, but had the door panel off so many times that I gave up on it and noticed no difference.
              sigpic
              1996 Chevrolet Camaro
              1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
              --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Right, that screw just fits into a drilled hole in the door panel. There is no plastic insert there, nothing to fall off. It could be that one of the staples that hold on the window seal has shifted during the handling and is touching the glass. Or that any window adjustments have cause one to make contact now. If you remove the panel and the noise stops, that is a good possibility.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X