leds or smds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leds or smds

I bought the wled ghp5 smd bulbs from superbrightleds.com for my 2000 firebird. Theyre the brightest because I wanted them to outshine the orange film. But as soon as I turn them on the dimmer fuse blows. I gave up on the sixth fuse (fuse count was getting low). So can our cars even run the higher power smds or should I get the not as bright leds to prevent electrical damage?

Re: leds or smds

I'm assuming you're talking about gage cluster bulbs?

In any case, if you're popping fuses with LEDs, you have bigger problems. LEDs, regardless of technology, are more efficient than incandescents and therefore use less power for the same amount of light. Sounds like a direct short. If you can put the old bulbs back in and not blow fuses, put one LED in at a time until the fuse blows. You might have a faulty, shorted LED/LED base.
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

That was gonna be my second solution. Because I have leds in my door lights but they are led not smd. Ive heard that since smds are brighter they use more power. But Im finding it hard to believe that smds are throwing out more than 10A though(the circuit is only 5A). Ive gotta tear it down when I have the time and my multimeter from work. Great advice thanks. I always forget the basics with electrics.

Comment

OK I did what you said and took a closer look at things. Pulled the IC and found a small line of who knows what grounding two wires together. Scraped it carefully with a razor and now I dont blow fuses. Got my lights to work. Thanks again.

Comment

No problem, good to hear you got it sorted out.
          sigpic
          1996 Chevrolet Camaro
          1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
          --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Originally posted by akirony View Post
            I bought the wled ghp5 smd led bulbs from superbrightleds.com for my 2000 firebird. Theyre the brightest because I wanted them to outshine the orange film. But as soon as I turn them on the dimmer fuse blows. I gave up on the sixth fuse (fuse count was getting low). So can our cars even run the higher power smds or should I get the not as bright leds to prevent electrical damage?
            I have never faced such problem with my bright led lights. Just ask good mechanic to check your light system.
            Last edited by Denniskelly; 01-30-2013, 01:06 AM.

Comment

I had some 74 bulbs to do the doors and shifter display and I kept blowing fuses, the little wires coming out the back were bent and shorted it out. Its easy to let that happen when you're trying to fit a small led in a very cramped and awkward position. Glad you got it fixed

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X