Wet Sanding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet Sanding

This is not related to my birds, but I will be doing it to my '89 soon.

Anyway, I live in a desert and the heat and sun here is brutal on the clearcoat. My maroon SUV is always left out in the sun and spots of clearcoat started going. Anyway, I bought matching paint and clearcoat. This was what I did:

1. Sand off the bad clearcoat with 800 and then 1000.

2. Hit it with a paint can (2x's) let it dry.

3. Lightly wet sand it with 1500 let it dry.

4. Spray clearcoat (2x's)

Now here's my question. Do I use a 2000 grit and wet sand it and then once dry and clear off do I apply Carnubal Wax to it or Mother's Scratch Remover?

I tried both and the clear coat ended up looking dull.

I'm thinking about doing it again and this time use dish soap when I sand it with 2000. Is this right?

Re: Wet Sanding

Go over it first with 1500 grit until it's all evenly dull, and then go over it with at least 2000 and 2500. It's going to be very dull, but it's not hard to get the shine back, just that it's not going to happen in one step. My process is using meguiars medium cut remover followed by fine cut remover followed by swirl remover 2.0 and then a nice cleaner wax.

I did a write up on this, but I used rubbing compound and polishing compound instead of medium and fine cut cleaner. Any decent product with similar properties will work. Just scroll down a bit to the color sanding section.

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=91029
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

not real sure its gonna stick if u finished sanding it with 1000 it may but i dont know. i always finish with 4 but have known people to do 600 and 800.. what type of clear coat did you use? if its not uv protectant. you'll probably be worse off. and with actual 2 part paints which i don't believe you used. the last thing you would want is wax on it. because it stops the chemicals in the paint from "gassing out" and causes issues. you'd need a rubbing compound and there are a multitude of them out there for that purpose. i wouldn't just go by turtle wax rubbing compound.

Comment

By the way, assuming you used an enamel clear, I'd give it a good 3-5 days to fully cure before doing the final color sanding.
        sigpic
        1996 Chevrolet Camaro
        1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
        --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Oh OK thanks guys. I'll give it a shot.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X