wheels are stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheels are stuck

on the new car I bought...long story short when I was picking it up someone else was offering $1500 more then I was paying for it, so in an effort to get the eff out of there asap, I took the 98+ 5 star rims, and put them on the back (was doing a rim swap) and when I realized I needed to dremel them down, (I didnt have time) I just put them on, and torqued the bolts down. So basically the rear wheels are press fit onto the car right now...lugs are off, but I cant get the damn rim off the car...even tried kicking it from the back, like, really reefin on it...doesn't wanna budge. Any ideas? Can I maybe take the rear discs off with the tires attached to it and maybe try and get them apart after? or is the hub not part of the rear disc?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Re: wheels are stuck

hammer time
    1997 Camaro LS1 RS
    1994 Camaro - Sold
    1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

question is what can I hammer on that I won't damage something....

Comment

Get you a nice rubber mallet and start wailing on the rim

Comment

Heat the hub and studs up.
          1995 Pontiac Firebird
          2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Mogobs30th View Post
            Heat the hub and studs up.
            Im hesitant about this because I am worried about screwing up the finish on the rims, but I'll give it a shot tommorrow if all else fails...(rims are painted, and I dont want them getting too hot)

Comment

you cant take the rotor off to take the tire off , since the tire needs to be off in order for the rotor to come off.

like people said, just get a rubber mallet and start bashing the tire, and hopefully it will come off.

you basically have two options:

1. hit it with a hammer
              2. heat it up with a torch (the center of the hub, not the rim)

Comment

doesnt metal expand when heated though? so wouldnt that make it tighter?

Comment

Beat on the tires with a large hammer. You could also use a bottle jack and a piece of wood between the two rear tires or rims and pump away.
                  sigpic

Comment

I like the bottle jack idea...

Comment

This is the first thing that came to my mind when I read the op

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv4m41viy4I

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
                        doesnt metal expand when heated though? so wouldnt that make it tighter?
                        yes, metal expands, but it wont make it tighter, since the metal will be softer.

its why when you have a stuck bolt, you heat it up to get it out

Comment

I had a rim do this a couple years ago. ended up bending the rim getting it off. I would try the heat first.

Comment

Your hub axle and rotor are steel your rim is aluminum.

They aluminum will heat more rapidly than the hub rotor.

Comment

I did the same thing when I got my SS rims, thought I would make sure I had clearance and they got stuck on, This was after my stroke so you should be able to get them off how I did. first jack it up so you can get under the back to make a good kick at both sides of the rim/tire left and right from the backside. Also make sure you have 2-4 jack stands so you don't crush yourself. Just jack it up enough so the tires are off the ground and start kicking left side then right side, it took me a hour for the first one and about 30 mins. for the second. It was a good work out and I didn't damage the chrome rims. After that I dremeled down the hubs really well so the rims don't even stick or anything when rotaing them. But make sure you have about 2 jacks per side, I know I did since it rocks the car when kicking and about 1/2" to 1" jacked up is enough and also a cement floor to do it on. Good luck. It just takes time and some leg streght. LOL I forgot also lower the car without the lugnuts in place to see if that will loosen it up also , once you here something jack it back up.
                              Last edited by ssms5411; 06-24-2010, 05:29 AM.
                              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X