need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need advice

I need to take my bottom front ground effects off and put new two sided tape on them again. What is the best way in witch to do this and what is a good tape to use that I can get from a local parts place?

Thanks all

Re: need advice

3M makes good double sided sticky tape for automotive purposes. As for removing your ground effects, I would wait for someone else to also give you advice but here is how I removed my side molding..

I used a heat gun, placed exactly a foot away from the paint. Be careful not to get to close or leave the heat gun in place for a long period of time or you may cause damage your paint. After it was hot I used fishing line and ran it along between the door and the molding and it came off without a problem. As for removing the rest of the old sticky tape residue, I used a 100% cotton towel and some warm water with soap.

I hope this might help.

Comment

you double taped your ground effects!!
      Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
      1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
      1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
      2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

Lots of stuff comes attached from the factory with double-stick tape. Namely side molding, and yes, in addition to the clips, ground effects can be held in with double-stick tape.
        sigpic
        1996 Chevrolet Camaro
        1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
        --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

this is unheard of for me i'm sorry... my apologies
          Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
          1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
          1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
          2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

its cool ACiFiC
            But yea from the factory they were taped. But over time it has started to separate so that's why I need to re do it. Problem is that the paint is about a week old. So I don't want to mess the new paint job up but I do have to re tape the front ground effects.
            But that's everyone for the input :)

Comment

is it possible to use some c clamps and clamp the stuff together, then drill some holes and both the effects on?

just wondering

Comment

I predrilled and then used screws , its held up 14 years so far. When my ground effects were first put on they used tape and they started falling off or moving, thats when I decided to use screws.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I wouldn't use c clamps on new paint but screws isn't a bad idea... what type of screws did you wind up using ssms?

Comment

well i dont think you could actually use the clamps on the outside of the effects where it has been recently painted

Comment

Double sided tape and the factory clips work well enough for me.

Comment

yea I'm sure if you just hold on to them as you drill they shouldn't move. I just don't want to run the risk of messing the fresh paint up is all.

Comment

Originally posted by 02silverbird View Post
                          I wouldn't use c clamps on new paint but screws isn't a bad idea... what type of screws did you wind up using ssms?

Just self tapping screws, just predrill it first. The scews won't be seen much and over time you'll get scratches and nicks off the ground effects , esp. on the freeway or highway.
                          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I put like 12 screws in my xenon kit. when I opened the box and seen double sided tape I just laughed. I used pop rivets along the grill area and on the front mud flaps and my ebay billet grille covers them nicely. I wouldn't use double sided tape...what if you hit a possum or raccoon that crap will go flying off.

Comment

Yeah, the ground effects for the FireBirds were mostly done w/ double sided taped. The side and back are done w/ plastic screws, clamps, and tape. I have just been redoing mine every so often. I just redid the side ones for the first time in 10 years and never the back, but the front I redo every 3-4 years.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X