Convertible Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convertible Question

Has anyone done a replacement on a convertible top? I would like to replace the top on my 02 Camaro. Its starting to look a little worn and puffy. It's just the canvas part. Can you replace just the canvas? or do you have to have the whole frame etc done? Theres nothing wrong with the frame, latches etc. All in good working order. Just the top is showing its age. Is it something that someone with technical knowledge can do, or should it be done by a professional?

Thanks

Carolyn
    sigpic

2002 Camaro Convertible - Stock!

Re: Convertible Question

To answer 1 of your questions, yes you may replace just the canvas. They run about $700 without installation and I would think you would want it professionally installed. Good luck.

Comment

they sell em on ebay but i am not sure if one can easily install it
      1997 Camaro LS1 RS
      1994 Camaro - Sold
      1999 Trans am Vert - Sold

A Few Mods....

Comment

My dad and I tried to replace the top on his '63 Lincoln 'vert, and promptly gave up and had it professionally done. Between the two of us, we rebuilt basically the entire car with the exception of bodywork/paint and convertible top installation. So I'd suggest you have it done professionally.
        sigpic
        1996 Chevrolet Camaro
        1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
        --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Yeah, I'm thinking that this is going to be a professional job. Just thought I would check with the think tank here to see if it was even possible.
          Thanks
          sigpic

2002 Camaro Convertible - Stock!

Comment

Originally posted by 02ragtop View Post
            Yeah, I'm thinking that this is going to be a professional job. Just thought I would check with the think tank here to see if it was even possible.
            Thanks
            Yeah, it's an old post, but I just finished replacing mine. I guess from other people's opinions of how difficult it is, that must make me some sort of super mechanic or something, I'm not, but I am patient, and German.

Camaroz28 have a nice post. User deliryumtrigger put to gether a how to guide of sorts here: http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/appe...o-pics-638740/

I found it helpful. It's not easy, so read all you can on the process. It will take 8 to 10 hours. After reading and contemplating it for a while, you may come to the conclusion to take it to a shop. Aftermarket tops are okay too, just make sure 1) it's a reputable top manufactuerer and 2) that if you are having someone else put it on that they approve of the manufacturer / vendor. Each top manufactuerer is different, and the process is very... expererience-skill based, so one installer may not be able to do as nice of a job with a top manufacturerd from someone they are not use to dealing with. If you are doing it yourself, spend the extra cash. An extra 100 or 200 spread over 10 hours of your life is worth it IMHO.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X