Aftermarket tach install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermarket tach install

How hard would this be? I wouldn't usually do this but the previous owner cut a hole in dash to mount GPS, and I would like to cover it with a tach or maybe like a dash plate that says "camaro" or "RS" or something. Anyways how hard would an aftermarket tach be to install? would I have to take apart dash? Any help would be great.

Re: Aftermarket tach install

Well you'd have to run a line through the firewall to the engine so I'd say yes, you'd have to take the dash apart.

Let's see some pictures, maybe we can give you a better way to deal with the hole.
    sigpic
    1996 Chevrolet Camaro
    1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
    --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

its like the size of a 50 cent piece or so...a dash plaque would be cool.

Comment

Where exactly? Pictures would help.
        sigpic
        1996 Chevrolet Camaro
        1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
        --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Yea where did they put this hole? A pic would be nice, because I dont think an aftermarket tach is needed. Maybe aeroforce gauge or something.

Comment

I can't find the cord to my digital camera to upload any pics...but its on the dash right where a tach would be mounted, maybe three inches toward the windshield above the AC vents. I found a camaro sticker thing thats meant to cover the cigarette lighter door but I don't know if it will be big enough.

Comment

I think what I'm gonna do is cut a piece of diamond plate maybe 5''x 2'' and put an "RS" sticker on it and pop rivet it over the whole. I think it will look alright, a lot better than the hole at least.

Also, I thought for newer cars all you had to do was splice the tach wires into the stock tach's signal wire to make it work. But I may be wrong. I didn't think it was necessary to drill into firewall. Although I have to drill into firewall anyways to run my fuel psi gauge wires.
              Last edited by Beefcake; 03-02-2010, 01:26 PM. Reason: add more stuff

Comment

the stock tach on my car is off by almost 200rpm, wouldnt go off stock signal

Comment

Originally posted by whitdog54 View Post
                  the stock tach on my car is off by almost 200rpm, wouldnt go off stock signal
                  its not the signal, its the gauge thats off

the gauge gets the signal from the same place an aftermarket tach would.

when i hook up a OBDII reader to my car, it tells me the correct RPM, but my tach is off by about 200rpm also

Comment

i looked it up for my old s10 just splice the wires that go to the tach and a power and ground wires that go to your radio. im assuming it would be the same in a camaro

Comment

Originally posted by cam98aro View Post
                      its not the signal, its the gauge thats off

the gauge gets the signal from the same place an aftermarket tach would.

when i hook up a OBDII reader to my car, it tells me the correct RPM, but my tach is off by about 200rpm also
                      oh ok my fault, yea I checked with my aeroforce. Also my gauge tends to not move smoothly either, itll hesitate a little.

Comment

Originally posted by whitdog54 View Post
                        oh ok my fault, yea I checked with my aeroforce. Also my gauge tends to not move smoothly either, itll hesitate a little.
                        yup, the stock gauge is pretty useless

its more of a +/- 20% type thing

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X