Cam timing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam timing?

Anyone here know just how far I can go retarding the cam timing and if it would really do me any good? I'm doing an N/A setup with a higher lift cam, something like the GT3 perhaps for high revs, and im looking to maximize my powerband in the high RPMs.

I'm asking because I'm playing around with Desktop Dyno 2000 and I built a replica of the N/A engine I'd like to build, and it seems when I retard the cam timing I gain alot in the upper RPMS (7000-7500rpm) on a GT3 cam.

Well, on 0 degrees cam timing I got 340hp@6500RPM and 334 ft. pounds @ 4500RPM at the crank.

When I retard the cam timing 15 degrees I get 350hp@7000-7500rpm (a longer peak powerband) and 309 pounds of torque.

I've heard that you can adjust for more horsepower or more torque but I'm not sure how much and if it's really any good to do so, especially with valves possibly striking the piston?

I doubt those numbers are entirely accurate (334 ft pounds seems like alot for a 3800 to me N/A even at the crank) but just wondering about the timing...

Here are the specs of the engine I put into Desktop Dyno...

Block/heads:
    Chevy 231 V6
    Bore: 3.830" (figure for .030" bored out)
    Stroke: 3.400"
    Cylinder heads: Canted rectangular ports, fully ported
    1.84" intake, 1.52" exhaust

Induction:
    770CFM@1.50inHg (I heard somewhere it was either 660cfm or 770, when i change it the difference is marginal)

Fuel: Gasoline
    Sequential fire injection

Exhaust: Large-tube headers, open exhaust

Camshaft: GT3 Cam specs copied from ZZperformance.com

Guess I got pretty bored today lol
    \'97 Camaro M5 Y87 3.23 LSD, homebrew CAI, highfloCat, Flowmaster catback, Pacesetter headers, specstage3 clutch and aluminum flywheel, !egr, 2kW system.<br /><br />Possible L67 bottom end w/ abbott heads and a turbo in the works... gotta do more homework

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
Working...
X