building a engine with a supercharger or not - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

building a engine with a supercharger or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: building a engine with a supercharger or not

If staying with stock heads I would go with at least 105LB valve springs and you'll want a turbo cam thats not too aggressive since most of them like from ZZP will require 130lb + valve springs ( their ST5 cam I think is 140lb-150LB springs they reccomend). And most who do 130lb + springs do a double roller timing chain. And if you do a new cam you'll want to do the lifters while your at it. Pushrods you'll have to measure to see if you need newer ones for either shorter or longer( some need shorter pushrods) , so far I've been good with stock length Comp ones. Head gaskets since your boosted I would go with MLS head gaskets, stock thickness is .062. You can get a little thicker like .065( thats what I run) or you can go all the way down .045 , look on ZZPerformance site they can explain how much thinner gaskets raise compression. Cost of the engine build is going to up there, cost of the turbo is going to depend on how much you do and where and what parts you buy. Mine was all new, $1300 Garrett turbo, $200 intercooler, $250 Tial wastegate, $250 Tial BOV, $500 on pipping and I would say $400 on misc. stuff. It was all under $3000 and that was with a AEM $300 electric boost controller and $300 Coolingmist methanol injection kit. Other stuff like cooling blanket for the hot side of the turbo and all the oil lines and return lines. Also my turbo is water cooled so I had lines and fittings for the coolant to run through the turbo.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Oh wow thanks that helps alot sounds like you have a good set up. I see what I can afford I was wanting to some work on the engine and rear end and was also wanting to make it a manual transmission instead of the automatic in it right now. It will definitely be something I do.

Comment

If your going to boost it, the manual tranny is alot weaker than the autos. I would stay with the auto and add a stall.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I didn't know that. I will look into it ive always wanted it to be a manual

Comment

yup i've blown 2 t5's. :(

Comment

The St5 is a VERY aggressive cam. I run it. St5, 140# springs, Comp OE-R 875 lifters, ZZP pushrods, double roller, p&p heads and intakes, 10:1 bottom end with clevite bearings all around, running OE head gaskets, and ARP everything. I love it. Makes roughly 350whp on 7.5psi, at 7000ft.

Next mod will be an auto swap though. Cheaper than running through T5's, stronger, easier on the rear end, and faster in the long run.

Comment

Oh wow sounds good thanks for the advice. I would rather not have to keep rebuilding t5 so I stay with the auto and just build my engine and add a turbo. I need to rebuild my rear end whats a good gear ratio to run with? And ive done some research and all I could find is that you can only bore the 3800 .020 of a inch because the water jackets is that true? I haven't torn the engine down to look.

Comment

Stock bore for me. And 3.42 gears

Comment

That sounds good but I cant afford to put a turbo on but I was wondering about if theres a bigger upper intake manifold and throttle body and different sizes for the hermontic balancer and different things. I thought I seen a theard talking about it and adding different opions but I cant find it anywhere. And thanks for the help. Im stillb learning about aftermarket opinions and whats needed.

Comment

Only other intake I know of is the Holden one from Australian cars, not sure what all is involved with it though.

Comment

No aftermarket TBs or intakes just P/P your stock ones if you want to go that route.

Comment

Oh okay I looked but couldn't find anything so thought I would ask. Thank you

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X