radials didn't work as planned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: radials didn't work as planned

Ya, Im going to be trying that when I go on wednesday again...you would think that the higher you stall the better though...I mean, that why guys get trans breaks and such...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
      Ya, Im going to be trying that when I go on wednesday again...you would think that the higher you stall the better though...I mean, that why guys get trans breaks and such...

With a trans brake bringing the RPM up does not load the suspension like it does foot braking.

Not all stalled automatics like leaving at an idle. My car, leaving from an idle, retards the timing about 10 degrees then starts bringing it back in. Leaving at 2300 for me nets the best 60' time. My stall locks up at about 3300. You need to try different RPM's to leave at and see what your car likes. It 's normally at a RPM below where the car starts to torque up but high enough over idle where the throttle response is more crisp.
      sigpic

Comment

Ya, I think thats probably going to be in around the 2000 mark then...I'll give her some more shots on wednesday and see what I can pull...this is assuming they let me run the slicks again...the guy told me not to run again until I get a d/s safety loop...I got one in the mail, but it wont be here before wed...and August 15th is the Canadian street car nationals with that v6 event I want to enter in...so I'm trying to get a feel for everything now...

Comment

Is this an NHRA or IHRA track? I don't think you need a driveshaft safety loop until you're well under 13.99. Buy a copy of the rule book, it's always worthwhile.

Do you have slicks or radials, you keep interchanging the terms. If you're on a drag radial, 10psi is FAR too low. You're hurting yourself there, also, radials won't wrinkle.

Keep playing with launch RPM and air those tires up! Don't forget to air the fronts to 45ish or however high you're comfortable with.
          <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

Im not 100% what they are...They are DOT approved...mickey thompson ET Streets... It is a NHRA track I believe...he told me I should get one for next time...I plan on telling him I don't plan to break 14's unless I get lucky, and that I have an SLP one in the mail...(which I actually do, got it off ebay for a good price) Won't be here until next week though... I'll need one 100% for the street car nationals....

I've played with the tune a little more...and I hope to play with my launch points some...we'll see what happens tommorrow...

Attached Files

Comment

Those aren't radials. What size are they? May be too big for your application. What gear are you running. Any suspension work? Big tires are a commonly used bandaid for a poor suspension.
              <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

Originally posted by Bird_Of_Prey View Post
                Those aren't radials. What size are they? May be too big for your application. What gear are you running. Any suspension work? Big tires are a commonly used bandaid for a poor suspension.
                They're ET Streets which is basically a street-able slick.
                2004 CE Corvette 10.86@132mph
                1996 Supercharged/Nitrous Camaro RS (For Sale)
                2011 Cadillac CTS-V
                2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-P
                2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

Originally posted by Bird_Of_Prey View Post
                  I got kyb adjustable shocks, reloc lca brackets (set at the bottom hole) slightly stiffer rear springs, 3.90 gears/lsd, 3 piece poly ball LCA's, edelbrock non adjustable tq arm, 32mm hollow front sway bar, stb...Poly trans, swaybars, and tq arm mounts...

and not that it makes a difference at the moment, but 2pt sfc waiting to go on...

The et streets are 11.5 x 26....they measure in width to be about 10 inches...which is around 248 wide if you were comparing it to a street tire?

I cut a 1.9x with these crappy street tires I have on (2 of which stay on the front when I put the et streets on) 245/50 R16 Hankook ventus HRII
                  Last edited by LETZRIDE; 08-04-2009, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Those tires will wrinkle, but not as much as a slick. They are bias tires and work very well.

You need a drive shaft loop any time you run a sticky tire.
                    sigpic

Comment

ya thats what I understood...I think I'll be ok for one more run with just the cross brace ...that should hold the shaft should it fall...I am getting an SLP one put on though...

Comment

ya thats what I understood...I think I'll be ok for one more run with just the cross brace ...that should hold the shaft should it fall...I am getting an SLP one put on though...

If it breaks you will think it's coming through the floor!
                        Last edited by bigbrian442; 08-05-2009, 03:19 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

I thought it will come through the floor and try to catapult the car?

Comment

mythbusters?

Comment

I got kyb adjustable shocks, reloc lca brackets (set at the bottom hole) slightly stiffer rear springs, 3.90 gears/lsd, 3 piece poly ball LCA's, edelbrock non adjustable tq arm, 32mm hollow front sway bar, stb...Poly trans, swaybars, and tq arm mounts...

and not that it makes a difference at the moment, but 2pt sfc waiting to go on...

The et streets are 11.5 x 26....they measure in width to be about 10 inches...which is around 248 wide if you were comparing it to a street tire?

I cut a 1.9x with these crappy street tires I have on (2 of which stay on the front when I put the et streets on) 245/50 R16 Hankook ventus HRII
                              So you have 3 mods directly inhibiting weight transfer. Do you have the KYB's on all 4 corners? How soft do they go? Stiffer rear springs aren't good for drag racing, and that big front sway bar isnt doing you much good. If your end links aren't all rusted up, think about disconnecting them for the track. Shouldn't take you much time to pull them off, and should be worth some 60'.

As far as the tires go, yore doing it rong. Start with more air, and then go down. Seriously, start around 22ish. Air the fronts up!! At least 45psi!! For the love of god man, don't do the SFC's, you're just adding weight. You're not making an earth rotating amount of torque. Ditch the STB while you're at it, useless. Is your car lowered? Why do you have the LCA relo on the bottom bolt? Try moving it up one. Neutral hole is the best place to start.

Comment

How big is your rear sway bar?
                                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                                  New Owner!
                                  by LETZRIDE
                                  I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                  4 days ago
                                • ssms5411
                                  Little work today
                                  by ssms5411
                                  Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                                  2 weeks ago
                                • LETZRIDE
                                  Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                                  by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                                  Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                                  By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                                  Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                                  02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X