Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: M/T drag radials at the track

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
    perfect... Im gunna have to wait until atleast friday, I called and they said they cancelled thursdays event because of lack of attendance...

How do you/would you signal the techies?
    Just look over at the guy telling you what to do and put a finger up and point down. He'll know what you mean.

And this is going to be a dumb question, but...I go around the water box, back into it, then pull out of it, then do the burnout right?
    Go around the water box, back up into it and do the burnout IN the water. They will back you up into the correct spot and tell you when you're done.
    When done, either burn out of the box onto the dry area OR pull up a little and do a dry hop spinning the tires a few times. I would recommend a dry hop to make sure the tires aren't wet and to assure the best grip.
    2004 CE Corvette 10.86@132mph
    1996 Supercharged/Nitrous Camaro RS (For Sale)
    2011 Cadillac CTS-V
    2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-P
    2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

Originally posted by Shirl View Post
      do the burnout IN the water. .

If you do this you will have the wheel wells dripping water on the tires and the track when you pull to the line.

Get the tires wet and pull out of the water before you do your burnout.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
        If you do this you will have the wheel wells dripping water on the tires and the track when you pull to the line.

Get the tires wet and pull out of the water before you do your burnout.
        It's not like you're going into a terrential down pour or something. It's called a burnout box for a reason. The little bit of water/rubber ends up on your rear quarter panels. (Well, sometimes it's a lot). So Letzride, put some extra wax back there. ;)
        Last edited by Shirl; 07-30-2009, 09:56 PM.
        2011 Cadillac CTS-V

Comment

I have to agree that the burnout should not be done IN the water box. I roll through (skinnies on front) the box and burnout just on the other side of it. In fact, if you're doing burnouts in the water here (Gainesville), they'll tell you to pull forward. With your setup (street tires in front) I would go around the box and back up into it, then pull forward out of the water and do your burnout.
          -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
            I have to agree that the burnout should not be done IN the water box. I roll through (skinnies on front) the box and burnout just on the other side of it. In fact, if you're doing burnouts in the water here (Gainesville), they'll tell you to pull forward. With your setup (street tires in front) I would go around the box and back up into it, then pull forward out of the water and do your burnout.
            Try both methods and see which works better. ;) Basically, though, you need to go around the water and back into it. Again, have the techie help you!! They will know exactly where to direct you.
            2011 Cadillac CTS-V

Comment

If you have the stock front tires then it would be a good idea to go around the water and then back up.

It is always a good idea to balance your tires. Remember your going to be driving on these at a higher rate of speed then a normal street tire.
              see the people I talked to said that if you balance them, as soon as you do your first burn out, they'll be unbalanced again... I dunno...I've never used this kinda tire/rim before

When done, either burn out of the box onto the dry area OR pull up a little and do a dry hop spinning the tires a few times. I would recommend a dry hop to make sure the tires aren't wet and to assure the best grip.
              What is a dry hop, and how do you do it?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
              1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

guys is it safe to run the ET streets in the back, and regular radials in the front...I've read that you shouldnt mix radial and bias-ply tires? Am I safe in doing this???

Comment

You'll be fine.

Comment

see the people I talked to said that if you balance them, as soon as you do your first burn out, they'll be unbalanced again... I dunno...I've never used this kinda tire/rim before
                    If that were true, you would be re balancing your everyday tires every 5000 miles. Your also taking the same amount off around the entire outside of the tire, not just one side.

What is a dry hop, and how do you do it?
                    A quick launch, lift and brake. It's kinda a test launch before you get to the line.
                    sigpic

Comment

guys is it safe to run the ET streets in the back, and regular radials in the front...I've read that you shouldnt mix radial and bias-ply tires? Am I safe in doing this???
                      I would try to avoid locking the brakes up and not drive in the rain like that. But you should be fine. Any drag tire in the rain is almost like driving on ice.
                      sigpic

Comment

ok...i'll swing em by the shop before I got up tommorrow...thanks guys...hopefully i'll have a 13 second post soon enough...

Comment

I would try to avoid locking the brakes up and not drive in the rain like that. But you should be fine. Any drag tire in the rain is almost like driving on ice.
                          alright good...I will only be swapping these on at the track anyways...

One other thing...when I had them on the other day...they don't rub or anything when driving...although the rear bottom part of the fender is within an inch of the tire...it did sound like something was rubbing when I was breaking...that part of the fender is plastic...should I be worried?

Heres a pic of them on the car btw guys....

Attached Files

Comment

Did you see any marks from them rubbing the body?
                            sigpic

Comment

no marks on the tires or car no...but I could hear a FAP FAP FAP FAP FAP...when I was slowing down...fastest I had the car with them on was 60km/h....just a little concerned if I was slowing down from 190-200km/h....

Comment

Look closely at the lower rear fender right behind the tire. It's hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like it could be pretty close to the tire, and even closer under heavy braking. Do you have adjustable lower control arms? If you do, you could shorten them up a bit to bring the rear end forward some.
                                -<i>Travis</i><br /><b>99 Trans Am, Pewter, A4</b> Forged, stalled, and cammed<br /><b>85 Buick Regal WH1 T-Type</b> It\'d be cool if it ran...<br /><b>94 Camaro 3.4, Teal, M5</b> The daily beater

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
                                  New Owner!
                                  by LETZRIDE
                                  I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                                  4 days ago
                                • ssms5411
                                  Little work today
                                  by ssms5411
                                  Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
                                  2 weeks ago
                                • LETZRIDE
                                  Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
                                  by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
                                  Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
                                  By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
                                  Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
                                  02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X