tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tires

ok i have 235-55-r16 tires on my car and i was looking at the formula tires that r 245-50-r16 wat i wanna know its wat the diff? is the tire taller? or wider or wat. can anybody tell me wats the diff is?

Re: tires

235 is the width of the tire in mm, 55 is the height of the tire sidewall in mm, and the lettering with r16 is the speed rating of the tread for that tire on a 16 inch rim.

that formula tire will be a little wider (245>235), and slightly less profile than your existing tires (50<55).

start researching on discounttiredirect.com
    Last edited by BallerMaro13; 06-24-2009, 07:39 PM.
    pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
    gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

You are correct in the first number being the width in mm, but the second number is an aspect ratio. The sidewall of the 235 is 55% as tall as the tire is wide (approx 129mm). Then 50% on the 245 (approx 123mm). For ex: 245/50r16 would be taller than a 245/40r16, and a 255/50r16 would be taller and wider than a 245/50r16.

Comment

consider me corrected. got in a hurry and put mm. good call sir.
        pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BallerMaro13 View Post
          and the lettering with r16 is the speed rating of the tread for that tire on a 16 inch rim.
          that r actually means its a radial tire. when reading the size of a tire and you look at the next set of numbers after the rim size for example...86T..93H...those are speed ratings. every tire sales website has a chart what each letter stands for what the tire is rated at

Comment

i didn't say the "r" was the tread rating, i said the lettering with it, as in 275/40/17zr, which is mine.

sigpic

Comment

"z" would indicate the speed rating of your tire.... the "r" still stands for radial

Comment

once again, i didn't say the "R" stands for the speed rating, i put how it appears on my actual tires for reference. i'm well aware that i have Z-rated radial tires, thus Zr, let it go.

clearly R stands for radial, and in my initial reply i put, "the lettering with r16 is the speed rating of the tread for that tire on a 16 inch rim".

find something else to pick apart. the OP has his answer.

sigpic

Comment

ballermaro is and was correct...
                  Rebuilding the engine... Building a custom front end... T-top conversion... Custom rear hatch..
                  Custom interior...

TEAM NoVa

Comment

Hey Baller.. Actually that B in your name stands for B!tch, which is what everyone else here is trying to make you. Don't worry, T-Mill and myself will back ya up. :D

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Originally posted by Blizzard242 View Post
                      Hey Baller.. Actually that B in your name stands for B!tch, which is what everyone else here is trying to make you. Don't worry, T-Mill and myself will back ya up. :D
                      lol they can try but it ain't gonna happen ;) thanks for the backup tho fellas! i would hope my fellow c6v6 teammates would have my back on explaining something as simple as tires haha.

but apparently i cant even read the profile lettering on my own tires, bc they're clearly wrong lol :p u have nittos too blizzard, you probably should go study them!

sigpic

Comment

lol they can try but it ain't gonna happen ;) thanks for the backup tho fellas! i would hope my fellow c6v6 teammates would have my back on explaining something as simple as tires haha.

but apparently i cant even read the profile lettering on my own tires, bc they're clearly wrong lol :p u have nittos too blizzard, you probably should go study them!
                        I'll uh, get right on that.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

i didn't say the "r" was the tread rating, i said the lettering with it, as in 275/40/17zr, which is mine.
                          "z" would indicate the speed rating of your tire.... the "r" still stands for radial
                          your 275/40/17 zr tire is not a z rated tire, go look its a "w" speed rating. look really closely all around the tire, you will see a 98w, or 98Y which is your speed rating.
                          Last edited by flamingchicken; 07-11-2009, 01:14 AM.
                          Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

my lord i'm tired of this tread...

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tir...98052&pc=40139

my exact Z RATED TIRE

z= 149 and over, however, the 89w indicates that the tire is capable of safely running up to 168mph.

LEARN:

Speed Rating
                            The speed rating of a tire is based on U.S. Government standards for reaching and sustaining a specified speed. Typically, a tire with a higher speed rating results in better handling. Speed ratings are determined via laboratory tests that simulate road performance at various speeds.

Below is a list of speed ratings along with the corresponding speeds they represent. Remember that the speeds listed are test speeds and not recommended speeds. Speed ratings apply only to the tire itself, and not to a particular vehicle. Putting a tire rated for a certain speed on a vehicle does not mean that the vehicle can be safely operated at the tire's rated speed.

• Q Up to 100mph
                            • R Up to 106mph
                            • S Up to 112mph
                            • T Up to 118mph
                            • U Up to 124mph
                            • H Up to 130mph
                            • V Up to 149mph
                            • W Up to 168mph
                            • Y Up to 186mph
                            • Z 149mph and over

If a listed speed rating contains two letters (such as VR), the first letter represents the speed rating and the second letter (R) indicates that it is a radial tire.

sigpic

Comment

^straight from the source.

this is getting ridiculous---by next week someone will try to tell me i dont even have tires on my car...i didn't realize this was an "argue for the hell of it" thread disguised as tires.

i'm done arguing about what is and is not on my car.
                              Last edited by BallerMaro13; 07-11-2009, 12:03 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X