Preferrable tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preferrable tires

Ok, so I'm looking to keep in the ESP, tires, and PAX class in the SCCA however my current tires are about to see their last race. I ran Riken Raptors for the longest time, and I think its time for a change of pace. I cant afford slicks, much less I'd like to keep in the class to avoid over classing and going up against EVOs and STIs and others of the sort (at least here in Oklahoma). I looked at some tires, and I'm TRYING to keep it at $500 or less. I found these (Nexen N3000) and I'm thinking about buying a set. Are these good tires, or should I get a different set? Keep in mind, these WILL be auto-x tires too.

I ate a bowl of fail this morning.
    Quarter Million Mile Club

Re: Preferrable tires

those nexen tires are a newer brand that hasn't been out long, but from what i've read on them they seem to have a solid reputation. i believe someone on the boards that just got rims wrapped theirs in the nexens---hopefully they'll chime in.
    pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
    gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

sorry to burst your bubble but nexen's are not that good for hooking up.if you want to hook up either go with falken azenus but then your over your price range,or go with BFG's KDW's.Mabe you can get a wider tire like i did,from a BMW, it's a contenential and i hooked well at the track,too well.

Comment

his point was trying to get the best bang for your buck without going over in his class---of course he could look at top of the line tires or upgrade to one of those, but it may get him out of the class.
        pacesetters|full 3" borla exhaust|3" stainless e-cutout|slp cai & ram intake|c/f whisper lid|tbs|eibach|kyb|stb|sfc's|adj.lca's & phb|slp fan|b&m t5|180*|z06 17x9.5|8000k hids|hptuners|d/s rotors

sigpic
        gone in body, but not in spirit

Comment

There's a fine line separating. If I put slicks on or something close, then it puts me up to STU or BSP. It's either EVOs and STIs, or Porsche's and this monster 240Z.

I ate a bowl of fail this morning.
          Quarter Million Mile Club

Comment

What about toyo proxe 4's

Comment

there are virtually no tire restrictions in ESP unless there is some local rule change for your region. check the rule book

Comment

falkin 615's are a good choice. they wear well and have tons of grip for the money. what size tire are you running?

Comment

Originally posted by rdoms6 View Post
                  there are virtually no tire restrictions in ESP unless there is some local rule change for your region. check the rule book
                  I was just going to ask about this - we are talking SCCA Solo rules, right? If that's the case you can run any tire in ESP, it's the ST classes that require a street tire. I just ran my first autox event a few weeks ago (have been road racing for 4 years btw), and ran my Camaro in STX. Btw, I ran on a set of Hankook RS-2s; a pretty good tire and around $500 for the set (I've also done a couple of track days on the tire, and it held up well there too). I've also heard good things about the Dunlop Z1 Star Spec - most say it's a little better than the Hankook - which runs about the same price, or the Bridgestone RE-11, which is considerably more expensive. I ran the older style (original) Azenis on my 240SX before it became a full-time race car, and they did extremely well on the track for a street tire. Of course, a lot of this depends on what size you run too.

Comment

What do you guys think about running a higher tire like a 275/45/17 or getting crazy with a 275/50/17(this would raise it 2"'s) height would be 25.7 to 27.8 diameter. This is going from a 275/40/17. Just thining would have more sidewall and more rubber. Any thoughts?
                    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                      What do you guys think about running a higher tire like a 275/45/17 or getting crazy with a 275/50/17(this would raise it 2"'s) height would be 25.7 to 27.8 diameter. This is going from a 275/40/17. Just thining would have more sidewall and more rubber. Any thoughts?
                      Taller sidewalls = more deflection & slower turning response. Fine for a street car, not so much for a track/autox car. That said, the difference between a 45 and 50 profile isn't going to make that much difference. It would actually be more noticeable in terms of acceleration; for example going from a 225/45 to a 225/50 on my race car makes a definite difference on the track, both in terms of lap times and shift points.

I did the math at one point, and figured that the difference of 5% in aspect ratio (45 v. 50) was equal to about half the difference between rear-end gear sets. For example, in my Camaro, which has stock 3.23 gears, switching from 245/50/16s to 245/45/16s was equivalent to changing to a 3.36 rear end, or a little more than half the difference between 3.23s and 3.42s.

Comment

Yes I was thinking 275/50//17 or 275/45/17 for everyday street tires so my car will be rasied up some more to clear the turbo pipping, then at the track I would run the smaller 40 series since I already have 275/40/17 M.T. Drag radials and front Prostars, thanks for expalining it, makes more since to me now. Steve
                        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X