race prep/weight for 4 th gen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• race prep/weight for 4 th gen

thinking of offering a 94 I have to a friend for autocross.
    hes been an autocross champ for many years but due to family
    things has lost all his stuff.
    Now I have a complete beater 94,will need to ditch the 3.4 and probably go
    for a high tech 3.8 or 4.1,along with changing the rear and the trans.
    Any and all encouragement and advise is welcome.

I want to lighten the heck out of it,it will not be streetable so will most likely
    loose all the fluff like airbags,ABS,pop up lights,crash supports for bumpers
    interior etc.Its a hardtop so with SFC and a good rollcage I think it will be solid.
    what race weight can I expect to get it to without expensive carbon fiber parts.
    I do plan on lexan rear glass and maybe windshield.

Re: race prep/weight for 4 th gen

http://www.importmodifications.com/c...reduction.html

Comment

Thanks for the link
      Looks like I would have no problem at all removing enough to get weight down to
      2500# as the entire car would be gutted.
      Im sure needed safety equipment will add 200# to this tho.
      I dont agree that removing the entire a/c system will only add up to 27#s tho.

Comment

Originally posted by v6droptop View Post
        Thanks for the link
        Looks like I would have no problem at all removing enough to get weight down to
        2500# as the entire car would be gutted.
        Im sure needed safety equipment will add 200# to this tho.
        I dont agree that removing the entire a/c system will only add up to 27#s tho.
        2500??? What does the '94 weigh to start with? I am very interested in this too, as I bought an '02 3.8L with the intention of building it for SCCA's new ITR class. The car is classified at 2815 lbs with driver, which means it will have to be down in the 2550 lb range before adding in driver & cage. Based on the listed weight of 3306 for the '02, that means the car will have to lose around 750 lbs in all. While we can remove some items not on the aforementioned list (such as gutting the doors), there are other things on that list we can't change, like hood/rear hatch, flywheel, and dash. I had just about reached the conclusion that there is no way to get down to 2815 with even a light driver, but I would love it if someone could prove me wrong.

The other problem I have is that the car is expected to make in the neighborhood of 250 hp at the crank with IT mods, which are pretty much limited to intake, headers, open exhaust, computer, balanced & blueprinted to factory service limits, and a slight (.5) bump in compression. I think GM did a pretty good job on the L36 motor to begin with, and I'm just not sure it will see those kind of gains with the allowed mods - and IMO for this car to be competitive with the likes of the 300ZX, BMW 325is/330i, BMW Z3, S2000, and the Porche 944 S2 & 968 it is going to have to make the weight and hp noted above.

That said, does anyone know of any other definitive sources for weight or hp figures for this car? It's one thing to say this weighs this much, and that weighs that much, but until you put all that crap out and weigh the car again it really is kind of like trying to figure hp by saying this adds so much hp, and that adds so much hp, and so all together they should add up to this much.

Comment

Re read
          2500+ 200# for safety equipment
          they way I read it you can use any GM motor.
          Im leaning towards an L-67 with those mods.
          Last edited by v6droptop; 05-04-2008, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by v6droptop View Post
            Re read
            2500+ 200# for safety equipment
            they way I read it you can use any GM motor.
            Im leaning towards an L-67 with those mods.
            Ok, re-read...nothing has changed since the first read. 3390 (per the website in the link) - 2500 = 890 lbs. The link shows that you can get about 475 lbs with their modifications. That's a 415 lb difference. Just wondering where that is coming from.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X