Any regular autocrossers here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any regular autocrossers here?

Wanted to see if anyone has been doing it for a long as me. I've been doing it regularly with the V6 and the Z28 for about 5 years now. Won a few class championships over the years too. I want to hear some of you hardcore guys about autoxing in other places than my experience in NorCal. Top pic is the V6 at Marina Airport. Bottom is the Z28, different day, same location.

Re: Any regular autocrossers here?

DAMN, that's a very sick picture of your Z28 going in that corner. I bet that thing handles like a dream... I hope to get some suspension done this coming summer to my car, similar to what you have. (Springs, shocks/struts, LCAs, adj. PHB, STB, and aftermarket sways if I can afford it.) I'm right near Richmond International Raceway, and they have events every other Sunday in a paved parking lot outside of the track. (There are a lot of noobs that come too, so I'll fit right in when I do go to race, haha.) Awesome cars! :banana:

Comment

Yup, I autocross a lot. Mostly in my Fiero. I took the Camaro out once last year for my region's last fun event. It was funny, first time I'd ever raced anything that weighs more than 2600 lbs :)

Stock Camaro v6 springs/shocks=teh suck at autoX
      Fun though :)

Camaro Vids:
      http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...17D1086E3EE1FC

2007 Fiero vids:
      http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...C569C5EAC4569C

If you look in my youtube account, you can see my 2006 season split between the Fiero and the Cavalier.

Comment

oh man I just got dizzy watching them...lol

Comment

Wow Squisher, you poor guy. You don't really get to do anything at that site other than slaloms, lol. I'll have to post up some vids of the sites we have out here in California. Castle AFB is the best. Its a huge airport tarmac (which means nice grippy concrete!) where they used to park B52s back in the day. Once a year the American Auto-x Series puts on an event there where one side of it basically becomes a straight-away. Some of the faster BP, CP, and even some Modifieds get to 100+ easy. I hit 93 in the Camaro last year when it was stock. 40mph+ turns are common, along with the tricky technical little stuff. My Hoosier A6 race slicks last about 50-60 laps out there before I cord one usually. I feel sorry for you on that farm road, lol.

Comment

Yeah, the site leaves a bit to be desired at times, but it is about 6 minutes from my house :)

I did hit up O'Reilly Raceway Park for WingedWarrior 3 and autocrossed for that on a non-slalom based course once. It was alright I guess.

The other nice thing on that site though, the average run is real close to a minute or better, even for the fast cars. Take what you can get I guess :)

There are events up in Indy pretty regular too, but an hour drive to work course for 3 hours and then get *maybe* 5 runs on a 35-45 second course just can't compare to 6 minute+ runs (almost every time anyway).

Comment

im into drifting... ^_^

Horsepower is how fast you hit the Minivan... Torque is how far you take the Minivan with you... :wavey:

Originally posted by Firehawk N Wv
              Mine were rusted also and the I had to cut my nuts off .

Comment

I stopped autocrossing regularly about one year ago.. but before that it was about 4 years of autocrossing.

This is the vehicle I spent most of the time autocrossing...

Video of the Tacoma autocrossing:

Tacoma-crossing

Followed by the V6 Camaro built specifically for autocrossing/roadcourse:

Videos of the Camaro autocrossing:

In the Dry

In the Wet

Don't do much autocrossing anymore but when Houston SCCA novice "skools" and other autocross schools (Evolution) come up I'll always try to attend those...best bang for the buck to keep sharp.

Main interest is in track days now and the weapon for that is this car:

<a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/vracer111\" target=\"_blank\">My \'98 Camaro</a><br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.honda-tech.com/garage?cmd=viewcar&id=1223\" target=\"_blank\">My \'98 Tacoma</a>

Comment

I just joined the SCCA. They autocross about 2 miles from my house. A few more mods and I'll be ready to try.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Comment

Try it more-stockish first, you may be surprised at how little your car "needs"

Plus if you know where you're starting from as far as car behavior, you'll know better what you need to do to fix it.

Comment

I crew for my dad who races Spec Miata in SCCA club racing. There's a novice solo event in March here in STL I think I'm going to take the Camaro out. If I stick with it I'll be hittin' you all up for pointers.

How did you guys mount your cameras in your Camaros? I'm a big fan of in car video.

www.leavellracing.com
                      Last edited by Jameson; 01-07-2008, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jameson
                        How did you guys mount your cameras in your Camaros? I'm a big fan of in car video.

www.leavellracing.com
                        Had an Autopower 4-point rollbar that I attached the camera to with an I/O Port racing camera mount:

Mount worked great but the Autopower Rollbar wasn't high enough, way too much gap with the top of the roof.
                        <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/vracer111\" target=\"_blank\">My \'98 Camaro</a><br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.honda-tech.com/garage?cmd=viewcar&id=1223\" target=\"_blank\">My \'98 Tacoma</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X