traction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• traction?

ok... so, ive searched, and for an auto people say to leave it in either drive or overdrive... don't cycle through 1st and 2nd... and to try your tire psi around 35, and adjust from there? and to try and launch around 3-3.5k usually. but what about traction control (2nd gear start) do you have that on or off...

Re: traction?

Leave it off otherwise it'll bog your launch.
    2004 CE Corvette 10.86@132mph
    1996 Supercharged/Nitrous Camaro RS (For Sale)
    2011 Cadillac CTS-V
    2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-P
    2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

leave it off, you don't wanna start in second gear. You want to start in first
      http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

to your other question. don't shift your car, it's an automatic.

Comment

Leave it in Drive.
          2011 Cadillac CTS-V

Comment

thanks for all the replys

Comment

bull, put it in 3rd dude. leaving it in drive will cause your car to shift into overdrive down the track, ultimatly screwing your time
              WE CAN REBUILD IT, WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY

Comment

Originally posted by Blip55
                bull, put it in 3rd dude. leaving it in drive will cause your car to shift into overdrive down the track, ultimatly screwing your time
                how do you put it in 3rd? i only have 1st, 2nd, D with an O around it, D, N, R

Comment

Wow your trapping so high that you top out 3rd? What are you running?

3rd = D.

I do burnouts in second, then race in D. It makes NO difference really. I just dont want my car going into a direct drive gear (third) during the burnout. D (third) keeps it out of OD(fourth), 2 keeps it from going into D (third), 1 keeps it out of 2. Its that simple. Leave SGS off unless your bracket racing and want fast cars to hate you :stp:

Oh, on Yoko Avid T4 235/55/16 (an ALL season tire), I put my tire pressure down to 20 psi and ran a 2.1 60 foot with an open rear.
                  Last edited by greasemonkey; 11-25-2007, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by greasemonkey
                    Wow your trapping so high that you top out 3rd? What are you running?

3rd = D.

I do burnouts in second, then race in D. It makes NO difference really. I just dont want my car going into a direct drive gear (third) during the burnout. D (third) keeps it out of OD(fourth), 2 keeps it from going into D (third), 1 keeps it out of 2. Its that simple. Leave SGS off unless your bracket racing and want fast cars to hate you :stp:

Oh, on Yoko Avid T4 235/55/16 (an ALL season tire), I put my tire pressure down to 20 psi and ran a 2.1 60 foot with an open rear.
                    how do you do a good burnout in an automatic

Comment

On street tires, there is never a reason to do a burnout. You want to avoid the water box, and spin the tires just a little to clean them off. Heating up street tires won't do anything but waste tread.
                      Just leave it in overdrive. Your third gear ends well over 100mph and i guarantee you will not be trapping over that speed. You won't shift into overdrive in the 1/4.
                      To do a burnout, you just have one foot on the brake and mash the gas. Keep the foot on the brake hard enough to keep the car from moving, but not too hard as you'll just eat through your rear pads.
                      sigpic
                      1996 Chevrolet Camaro
                      1995 Buick Park Avenue Ultra
                      --Appearance Moderator--

Comment

Wow, is this some mis-information. First: DRIVE is 3rd GEAR. And second, the car DOES NOT shift into overdrive when it's in "Drive".
                        2011 Cadillac CTS-V

Comment

Do a small burnout with street tires. This was covered in another post. There will always be some, albeit small, benefit to warming up even street tires. Not as much as radials or slicks, but it does make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGr8Schlotzky
                            On street tires, there is never a reason to do a burnout. You want to avoid the water box, and spin the tires just a little to clean them off. Heating up street tires won't do anything but waste tread.
                            Just leave it in overdrive. Your third gear ends well over 100mph and i guarantee you will not be trapping over that speed. You won't shift into overdrive in the 1/4.
                            To do a burnout, you just have one foot on the brake and mash the gas. Keep the foot on the brake hard enough to keep the car from moving, but not too hard as you'll just eat through your rear pads.
                            all right... think if i can go, ill skip the burnout... i wouldn't know how hard to push, and i don't wanna lurch forward, and don't wanna pay for new brake pads

Comment

I gotta be honest, if you don't know how to do a burnout it may not be safe racing in the first place.

Go find a warehouse parking lot and learn to control your car. Your brake pads aren't going to wear that bad. Your car has a brake proportioning valve anyways, you only get around 30% braking out of your rear wheels.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X