Did my first HPDE event...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did my first HPDE event...

had my first HPDE event on saturday at homestead...WHAT A BLAST! I've got a lot of work to do on my self, mainly bad habits that are hard to break and learning how to heel-toe....I boiled the PS fluid on the first session, turned the front calipers slightly gold, and on the third session my knee accidentally turned the A/C on, I realized this when all I heard was ding ding ding and my oil temp was over 300*, it's all good though I had tons of fun. I'm gonna start looking for a track car now, thinking 80's camaro/mustang or an rx-7.

and the thing that surprised me the most is that my tires don't look any worse than when I set off for the track in the morning???? I'm not complaining though...and on the G-Meter 1.15<>1.17, now the fun starts looking for a beater car.

oh ya, and heres the track map

"Money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy what I want"
    05' CTS-V
    00' Camaro - SOLD :(

Re: Did my first HPDE event...

wow... you should have got a video... looks like alot of fun
    Welcome future UK stars... Darius Miller, Deandre Liggins, Kevin Galloway, Josh Harrellson

Comment

Looks like you have some fun there with your first HPDE...

Get something that is easy to work on, has lots of performance parts and inexpensive replacement parts available for it, and is lightweight. Dot-R tires, brake pads/rotors, and fluids will be your main recurring costs. The heavier the car is the more stress you put on the suspension and driveline components. Lighter cars are easier on tires, brakes, suspension, and drivetrain. Redline fluid is your friend in GM powersteering systems...

A track car will require a lot more maintenance than your daily driver; you have to check wheels for cracks, wheel bearings and ball joints for play, suspension component for wear, all the suspension bolts for loosening (they do come loose from track use), etc... Wheel studs are very important too and should be replaced every few years if you track the car very frequently. A friend of mine had all of his right front studs shear and the wheel fly off as he was entering a left handed turn at 80+mph at TWS...he and the car were ok other than suspension being damaged. Upgrading studs is a good idea for a track car! Especially if you are running sticky Dot-R or race slicks pulling 1.5G's or more constantly.

Have fun choosing a car to run, there are lots of choices out there! I'd stay away from Mustangs though, unless you are going to totally redo the suspension and heavily reinforce the chassis (adding weight though...:( ) - they are limp noodles of a chassis. F-bodys have a lot better chassis and suspension than the Mustangs, but still weigh quite a bit.
      Last edited by Vracer111; 09-05-2007, 10:53 PM.
      <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/vracer111\" target=\"_blank\">My \'98 Camaro</a><br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.honda-tech.com/garage?cmd=viewcar&id=1223\" target=\"_blank\">My \'98 Tacoma</a>

Comment

A beater Caddy???
        FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Administrator
        Stupid is rewarded with the ban button.
        Official Avatar Nazi according to Meatyshells :D

Comment

Sweet. Seat time at the track is addictive compared to the 40 seconds of autocross.

GM is famous for overheating power steering pumps, they're geared for parking lots not sustained high rpm racing. Turn One is the answer.
          Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
          Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

Originally posted by TealV6
            A beater Caddy???

I wish....

I think I'm set on a talon/eclipse/laser turbo/awd...semi light, parts readily available, and CHEAP! Hell, they used the same motor in the damn things from 90-99 and theres a HUGE aftermarket for them....so the hunt begins, haven't found many deals yet, mostly all souped up and asking too much for them..and the others that I wouldn't trust to drive to the grocery store...but I'll find one, hopefully get out cheap for about $1500, so we'll see...but ya I can't wait for my next event.

"Money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy what I want"
            05' CTS-V
            00' Camaro - SOLD :(

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X