Helmet and other dumb questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmet and other dumb questions

I am looking onto a group that does autocross in my area. For SCCA Solo II the cost is $25. That seems really low. They do "track days" at Pocono Raceway for $175, but I am not sure what the difference is. What kind of costs do you guys see?

Any advice on a Helmet? I was thinking of a full faced Bell. Tinted visor..or something...

Finally, will a minor PS pump leak disqualify my car? Been searching for this stinker for years. I was going to redo the PS when the motor was pulled, but that won't be until next year.

Thanks a lot. I want to make sure I get my ducks in a row before I run them..I mean, spend any money.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/799659

Any leak is looked down upon. I guess it depends on how bad the leak is and how easily you can hide it.

Solo II is racing by yourself over a course made usually of pilons in a large *** parking lot. The track day I would figure is some configuration of the Pocono road course race track and may or may not involve other cars on the track with you.
    1996 Camaro Y87 5-Speed<br />K&N filter<br />15.19 @ 89.84

Comment

You will find excellent deals on eBay on new helmets...make sure it is SA2000 rated which is required for open track and SCCA..the important part is the "SA" and 2000 is the year certification standard...no newer standards yet.. I've found the Bell M2 model to be excellent for closed sedans...it has a larger eye port and sell for around $300...Pyrotect also makes a comparable helmet for around $250. Track days have it all over Solo One. Solo One is premature ejaculation and Open track is multiple orgasms. Also a few cheap suggestions for open track include a good brake fluid such as Motul 600 and a great set of brake pads such as Carbotech. You'll have much more fun with brakes that work and no fade or boiled fluid. RP

Comment

DO you have a PS leak? or do you just boil over a bit?
        -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

Originally posted by shenanigans:
          DO you have a PS leak? or do you just boil over a bit?
          Great question. The PS parts are coated with fluid. I never see it leak or drip, but I have cleaned off everyting, driven it, and the coating returns. It gets all over, so it is hard to tell the origin. It is not over-full, but maybe it is boiling over.

The bottom of my engine is a little coated with oil. My rear main seal has seen better days. Maybe a powerwash before showing up for the inspection would help :D

If I can find a babysitter, I am going to one of their meetings in Sept. I should be able to get loads of good info there.

I am getting psyched for racing. My B&M Ripper is in the mail. [img]graemlins/naughty.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by carmelcarswholesale:
            .make sure it is SA2000 rated which is required for open track and SCCA..the important part is the "SA" and 2000 is the year certification standard.
            Good tip. Thanks.

Solo One is premature ejaculation and Open track is multiple orgasms.

Big thing right now is the cost. I have been sinking so much cash into the 'bird, there is not much left over for racing. Losing my autocross virginity with cones is probably a good idea too.

Also a few cheap suggestions for open track include a good brake fluid such as Motul 600 and a great set of brake pads such as Carbotech.

More good tips. I see I have much to learn.

Thanks!

Comment

I thnk 85% of f-body power steering pumps boil over. At least in FL.

as for doing mods, other then routine maintenance.

I say hold off on them until you get your feet wet autocrossing, most important thing is seat time with autocrossing. After a few events you might be able to see where your car is lacking and what to upgrade and do.
              -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

My PS overflows all the time.

Comment

My power steering fluid boil over problem was solved by sucking the old (brown/black) fluid out of the reservoir and refilling with valvoline synthetic power steering fluid (each year when I change the brake fluid).

Comment

Helmets rated SA2005 come out in October, you would get another 5 years of use out of it (or at least SA2000 helmets should start to be discounted soon?)

Comment

Originally posted by RGB:
                      My power steering fluid boil over problem was solved by sucking the old (brown/black) fluid out of the reservoir and refilling with valvoline synthetic power steering fluid (each year when I change the brake fluid).
                      acutally going to try it. I had already bought the fluid a few days ago.

how did you suck it out?

Comment

Originally posted by RGB:
                        Helmets rated SA2005 come out in October, you would get another 5 years of use out of it (or at least SA2000 helmets should start to be discounted soon?)
                        and I agree on the helmets... wait a few months and geta NA2005, or a discounted SA2000 [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by RGB:
                          acutally going to try it. I had already bought the fluid a few days ago.

how did you suck it out?
                          </font>[/QUOTE]A piece of hose and your mouth [img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]

Comment

how did you suck it out?
                            Turkey Baster (really.)

I say hold off on them until you get your feet wet autocrossing
                            WHAT? That's blasphemy around here. I see what you are saying, but I really look forward to my garage time. :cool: I guess it is hard to autocross and have the car in pieces all of the time.

Comment

Autocross first, and get a hanlde on how your car handles. Spin at an autox doing 30, and you take out a few cones. Go off track doing 70, and you're in a wee bit more trouble. Autocrossing will be invaluable in teaching you to keep looking ahead and in control.

On the helmet: Note that the SCCA has put out an advisory on using full face helmets in cars still equipped with airbags. Seems the airbag can give a big kick to the chin of the helmet, breaking the jaw in a few cases. Might be best to stay with an open face helmet on a street car. I'd get a CG lock or harness too for better safety and car control. Hard to steer when you're half out of the driver's seat.
                              Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
                              Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X