240sx vs F-6 F-body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 240sx vs F-6 F-body

who will win in auto-x? I know that 240 will loose in a drag, but how about auto-x? I got one dude talking mad trash about my f-body. We're trying to race in auto-x for a grand. I was thinking that putting high perfomance brake pads, and 1LE rear and front swaybars.

the better driver?
    <b>Black 1996 3.8L Firebird A4</b><br />--------------------------<br />Custom CAI, Flowmaster Dual Exhaust, 160 Deg Thermo, BMR ShockTower Brace<br />JVC mp3 HU, two 12\" Infinity Kappa Perfects, Infinity 6.5\" components, JBL 600.1 & 80.4 amps <br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/album/479229363CPbPiz\" target=\"_blank\">Pics</a>

Comment

i raced a turbo one (see 'kill stories')

it was funny.

Comment

I would check into getting some BMR suspension pieces to tighten up your suspension if your going to autocross. You might as well go all out if your betting a grand on it.
        <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/maniacls1\" target=\"_blank\"><b>2001 Firehawk #155 of 504 -M6</b></a><br />437 RWHP / 404 RWTQ -Dynojet (heads/cam)<br />12.34 @114 mph 1.7 60\' (bolt-ons only)<br />12.47 @116 mph 2.0 60\' (street tires, heads/cam)

Comment

Tires Tires Tires Tires Tires Tires..

Thats your biggest difference in an auto-x. Also where I saw my biggest gains. Went from those stock 235/55 goodyear ga's to 245/50 kumho 711s and my times dropped dramatically. Also look into springs and shocks since they will make the car more predictable.

A STB will make the front end stay more level increasing the likelihood that your front tires will stay level with the ground (stops the chassis twist that cars undergo in heavy cornering).

Also, LCAs will help too since everytime you come out of a hard corner you are basically launching the car again. I went the boxed LCA route since they are better for drag racing (helps my launches considerably in auto-x).

Also, weight reduction doesn't hurt, but it will bump you up a class (probably to SM). All those previous mods will put you into STX.

Running stock for stock though, I'd say it will boil down to the drivers. Whoever has more experience running their vehicles in auto-x will likely win unless the power/weight difference in the cars can make up for it.

**Edit**
          Also forgot to mention the stock brakes suck. Getting better brakes, brake pads and brake lines will help you considerably as well. I also have upgraded my front brakes to EBC slotted/dimpled rotors and EBC greenstuff pads.

Of course, if you do all this (even doing your own work like I did) you are going to wind up spending way more than a grand for the parts, so its not really worth it for 1 race.
          **Edit**

[ January 07, 2004: Message edited by: serpint ]</p>
          -Mark (aim: Eredasx)-<br />Black 01 Bird. 3\" exhaust. Eibach pros. Tokico shocks. Whisper lid. SLP CAI. LS1 DS. SLP fan switch. LSD. BMR PHR, LCAs and STB. Status: still repairing damage from punk thieves.

Comment

Well it might end up being worth it. If you do happen to bet on it and win, you end up getting most of that stuff for free. I would only do it if you have the money to spare. If youre strapped for cash then I wouldnt chance it.
            <b>Black 1996 3.8L Firebird A4</b><br />--------------------------<br />Custom CAI, Flowmaster Dual Exhaust, 160 Deg Thermo, BMR ShockTower Brace<br />JVC mp3 HU, two 12\" Infinity Kappa Perfects, Infinity 6.5\" components, JBL 600.1 & 80.4 amps <br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/album/479229363CPbPiz\" target=\"_blank\">Pics</a>

Comment

This is way too technical for the lounge!
              www.RedLineVSix.com || 1996 Camaro, 15.159@92.5mph

Comment

The cars are classed the same in stock, so they'd be close with all things equal.

So:
                The better driver wins.
                Whoever sprung for the Victoracers wins.

Everything else is pretty minor compared to these two, which can affect a 60 second run by &gt;5 seconds.

-Jeff
                Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
                Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

Depends on the engine he is running. If he has the SR20DET turbo engine and any suspension mods at all he will crucify you. If he is running the stock KD50 engine you should beat him handily.
                  2000 Firebird. Whisper Lid, True duals, TSP mail order tune, Built Tranny , TCI 2800 stall verter, B&M tranny cooler, Eaton LSD, 3.42 gears. Current best ET. 15.232 89.09 MPH 2.175 60ft on stock 3.42\'s and open diff.<a href=\"http://www.geocities.c

Comment

It's 93 240sx, stock motor (155hp I think). Not sure if it's manual or auto (assume it's manual). He's claiming he got lots of suspension mods. I was thinking of getting 17 inch rims somewhere with competition rubber on them. Rear/front 1LE sways, weight reduction and practice...

Comment

Don't get 17 inch wheels for the car. Bigger wheels in this case = more weight = less cornering ability. Stay with your stockers and just get better tires for them if you don't want to spend a fortune.
                      -Mark (aim: Eredasx)-<br />Black 01 Bird. 3\" exhaust. Eibach pros. Tokico shocks. Whisper lid. SLP CAI. LS1 DS. SLP fan switch. LSD. BMR PHR, LCAs and STB. Status: still repairing damage from punk thieves.

Comment

You should waste him if he has the stock US engine it's the same KD50 engine that's in the hardbody trucks. No biggie.
                        2000 Firebird. Whisper Lid, True duals, TSP mail order tune, Built Tranny , TCI 2800 stall verter, B&M tranny cooler, Eaton LSD, 3.42 gears. Current best ET. 15.232 89.09 MPH 2.175 60ft on stock 3.42\'s and open diff.<a href=\"http://www.geocities.c

Comment

They're hard to find with the right bolt pattern and backspacing, but I'm getting 17x8's or 17x8.5's that weight about the same as a stock 16x8.

With those, I can put on much better street tires than what's available in 245/50-16. 245/45-17 opens up Kumho MX and Falken Azenis to the F-body without the increased weight.

Going with 275's on a 17x9, yeah, too heavy for the V6.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by serpint:
                          Don't get 17 inch wheels for the car. Bigger wheels in this case = more weight = less cornering ability. Stay with your stockers and just get better tires for them if you don't want to spend a fortune.<hr></blockquote>
                          Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
                          Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

Max on 16's is 255/50/16. It's not really wide... What are some excellent competition tires?

That guy sounds like he knows his stuff, so I assume he's got suspension upgrades. How much does 240sx weights? Anyone got site with detailed specs?

Comment

If he has a whole bunch of suspension upgrades then he isn't in the same class as you so how can you even compare??

Auto crossing is mostly about driver skill rather than performance.
                              SLP CAI, K&N, Whisper Lid, 180* thermo, manual fan switch, 3.42 gears, Auburn Pro LSD, Wester\'s PCM Tuning, TSP Rumbler, High Flow Cat. Best Time: 9.909@71.58 (1/8 mile)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X