Helmets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmets

Where do they sell those snell helmets at?
    I see them on internet for sale but I want to try it on before I buy it to make sure it fit. What kinds of store would carry these helmets?
    1997 Camaro Y87. Turbo.<br /><a href=\"http://pureoctaneracing.net/\" target=\"_blank\">Pure Octane Racing</a>

I got my helmet at a local motorcycle shop. Simple open face, Snell M2000, $60.

-Jeff
    Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
    Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

if you are looking for an auto-x helment make sure its SA not M

~Billy

Comment

From a helmet site (www.gforce.com):

--- Begin quote ---
        Snell SA2000 - M2000. Our customers have asked what the difference is between a Snell SA2000 and M2000 certification for a helmet. All Snell tests for these specifications include multiple impact tests at -20 degrees, 78 degrees (dry and wet) and 120 degrees. The Snell M2000 specification is the base for the specs. The SA2000 - used primarily for auto racing - adds not only the thicker shield, but also the use of flame retardant paint, trim, retention strap and interior. The Snell SA2000 helmet also meets an additional rollbar impact test.
        --- End of quote ---

For autocrossing, I don't think the differences are enough to worry about. I'm not wearing a fire suit, installing roll bars, or wearing a face shield (open cockpit?) anytime soon. For NASA track racing, maybe, but not likely.

-Jeff
        Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
        Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

well.. honestly.. you dont really need a "SA" helmet..

but I run tech inspection for our local scca.. and if you bring a helmet.. i will look under the flap.. and if its not SA i hand them a loaner.. and if they run with the M helmat they get kicked out.. its more an insurance issue then a safty issue..

~Billy

Comment

Billy you do tech? If it's at autocrosses we've probably met ... good thing I have a SA helmet ...

Get an SA helmet -- G-Force 750 or something is what I have - $150 from Jegs. This is your head. Yours. Your brain is inside, it is the link to your future. Loaner helmets suck, balls, suck suck suck suck. Absolutely suck. You can afford the $15 to drag race, the $25 to autocross ... you CAN afford the measly $150 to save your head. Trust me, do it.
            Do you want a helmet that 350 other people have worn, or one that conforms to your head, and is the right size. Get your own helmet. It's good for 10 years, so why not get an SA, since you'll probably move up to bigger and better things one day. (and, yes, I have a roll bar)
            -Rob
            <b>97 Camaro 3.8L M5</b><br />Car for sale<a href=\"http://terpmotors.com\" target=\"_blank\">terpmotors.com</a> Terrapin Motorsports! UMCP

Comment

for autox you dont really need a SA helmet you can do it with a M2000 both are snell approved but SA is hiher rating i got my G force SA helmet at racer wholesale. they sould have a website i got a great deal on it.

i know for a fact according to SCCA (Howard Duncan,AutoX chairman). you can use a M helmet. i used one at the pro-solo and national tour

[ June 16, 2003: Message edited by: O0oSKAMo0O ]</p>
              •)))2000 3.8L V6 FIREBIRD (Navy Blue) 5 speed <br />•Aluminum Alloy 3-piece custom built wheels - 17x10 (front)- 17x11.5 (rear) Tires:Front: 275/40-17 - Rear:315/35-17• Suspension Techniques 1 3/8 \" Solid front Sway Bar• H&R Springs • Koni revalved double adjustable shocks (front)• Bilstien Custom Revalved shocks (rear)• K&N •Magna Flow Dual Exaust• Stock wheels W/Hoosier Road Racing tires • Sound System•<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/o0oskamo0o\" target=\"_blank\">•THE RIDE•</a>

Comment

So, SA is better than M and I should get SA?
                Will they sell them at local motorcycle shop?
                1997 Camaro Y87. Turbo.<br /><a href=\"http://pureoctaneracing.net/\" target=\"_blank\">Pure Octane Racing</a>

Comment

GET A SA HELMET! dammit for the last time!

you CAN use a motor cycle helmet, but you are not susposed too!! not at NHRA tracks or at SCCA events.. alot of places will let it slide, but it is agenst the rules.. thats the bottem line.. dont waste you money on a cheep *** motorcycle helmet..

BTW I have only done tech at like 2-3 scca events, but I have done it like 20 times for autocrossers inc / pca events that follow scca rules and use their insurence ect ect..

~Billy

[ June 16, 2003: Message edited by: AllTheGoodNamesAreGone ]</p>

Comment

theres no doubt get SA! you can always use it but the cost a bit more. SCCA and PCA autocross allow you to use "M". if your thinking about road racing or driving school make sure you have "SA".
                    •)))2000 3.8L V6 FIREBIRD (Navy Blue) 5 speed <br />•Aluminum Alloy 3-piece custom built wheels - 17x10 (front)- 17x11.5 (rear) Tires:Front: 275/40-17 - Rear:315/35-17• Suspension Techniques 1 3/8 \" Solid front Sway Bar• H&R Springs • Koni revalved double adjustable shocks (front)• Bilstien Custom Revalved shocks (rear)• K&N •Magna Flow Dual Exaust• Stock wheels W/Hoosier Road Racing tires • Sound System•<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/o0oskamo0o\" target=\"_blank\">•THE RIDE•</a>

Comment

You can find a number of suppliers of racing gear advertising in a magazine called Grassroots Motorsports. One I saw with SA helmets in their ad was:

www.gforce.com

They may be able to tell you how to measure your head to get the right size, or you may see one who's close to you.

"if its not SA i hand them a loaner.. and if they run with the M helmat they get kicked out.. its more an insurance issue then a safty issue"

It's still interesting that they think the difference between SA and M is more important than how the helmet fits.

[ June 19, 2003: Message edited by: V6Bob ]</p>
                      2000 Firebird convert, chameleon/tan, M5, Y87, TCS, BMR tower brace and panhard, KBDD sfcs, 245/50-16 GSCs

Comment

Helmet that fits ... that's the number one reason why I never ever (did I mention ever?) would like a loaner helmet -- it has molded to someone else's head (many hundreds of someones), worse yet -- in a pinch, you may be forced to run a XL or S ...
                        For crying otu loud, the SA, properly sized, is $150 open face. And call it a day!
                        Measure your head with some measuring tape, according to how each specific company sizes things -- see their website.
                        -Rob
                        <b>97 Camaro 3.8L M5</b><br />Car for sale<a href=\"http://terpmotors.com\" target=\"_blank\">terpmotors.com</a> Terrapin Motorsports! UMCP

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X