Woohoo, big time improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woohoo, big time improvements

Well, just finished my second career autocross.

On the first one (2 weeks ago), I ran 30% slower than the fastest time of the day (58.3 vs 45.0 secs).

Today, only 18% slower (41.8 vs 35.2). I stayed on the line a lot better, and was a lot more aggressive on the slaloms.

I figure I can maybe get the difference down to the low teens with the way my car is set up - street tires (bridgestone potenza RE950 on stock rims), and no suspension mods.

Although I want to do my exhaust next, my car is screaming for sway bars and shocks. My ride-along passengers were getting seasick from the car's roll, while the F-bodies using Sam Strano's setups were nice and flat.

Any of you Tucson/Southern AZ guys plan on coming out to any Tucson or Sierra Vista events? I'm the only V6 next to about 6 LS1 F-bodies.

-Jeff
    Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
    Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Congrats [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] .
    I've just gotten into autocross racing recently, it's a blast! I've been improving my times too, in fact last event I came in 6th out of 27 in the rookie class. I found out an autocross alignment (0* toe, as much negative camber as I could get, 4.5* caster) plus Bilsteins (from Sam Strano for about $325) help quite a bit.

Chris
    <b>2002 BSM TransAm WS.6 M6</b><br /><b>350rwhp, 365rwtq</b><br /><b>Stock:</b>13.455 @ 105.39 2.129 60\'<br /><b>Mod:</b>12.449 @ 113 1.832 60\'<br /><br /><b>2004 QSM GTO M6</b><br /><b>303rwhp, 329rwtq</b><br />Stock: 13.74 @ 102.14 2.1 60\'<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/silvertaws6\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/silvertaws6</a> <br /><br /><b>1984 Firebird S/E M5</b><br />2.8L

Comment

Nice placing there. Not sure how many novices there were to go against - since it was Mother's day, only about 50 cars this time, instead of the usual 100-120. Although, that meant everyone got 8 runs with no extra time-only price :)

I saw Strano's alignment cues on the board, looks like you're happy with them too. How do those numbers affect the streetability of the car (directional stability, expected tire life and wear patterns)? You know, I'm not even sure what the stock numbers are, they aren't listed in my Haynes manual.

Definately going to Strano for my shocks too, just need to take a little more balance off the credit cards (I'm not maxed out, but I've set goals to reach before I can buy car stuff, it's been a great incentive so far!).

-Jeff
      Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
      Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by zlexiss:
        Nice placing there. Not sure how many novices there were to go against - since it was Mother's day, only about 50 cars this time, instead of the usual 100-120. Although, that meant everyone got 8 runs with no extra time-only price :)

I saw Strano's alignment cues on the board, looks like you're happy with them too. How do those numbers affect the streetability of the car (directional stability, expected tire life and wear patterns)? You know, I'm not even sure what the stock numbers are, they aren't listed in my Haynes manual.

Definately going to Strano for my shocks too, just need to take a little more balance off the credit cards (I'm not maxed out, but I've set goals to reach before I can buy car stuff, it's been a great incentive so far!).

-Jeff
        <hr></blockquote>

Yeah, I was surprised I did that well (and happy) [img]smile.gif[/img] . It was with a Porsche club, so I was lumped into the "X" class which included any other makes of cars.

The alignment is pretty nice, I didn't really notice anything bad with it (my car wandered as was with the bad roads and 275 width tires so it's hard to tell). My tires are showing some wear on the outside edges, but that's from the actual racing (negative camber should wear the inside easier). My stock settings were somewhere around .25 toe in, a few degrees positive camber, and about 5.25 caster. I definitely noticed a difference in the turn in and such. I like it better then the stock [img]smile.gif[/img] .

Setting goals is definitely smart, I do that too. It keeps me from getting in debt with mods ;) .

Chris
        <b>2002 BSM TransAm WS.6 M6</b><br /><b>350rwhp, 365rwtq</b><br /><b>Stock:</b>13.455 @ 105.39 2.129 60\'<br /><b>Mod:</b>12.449 @ 113 1.832 60\'<br /><br /><b>2004 QSM GTO M6</b><br /><b>303rwhp, 329rwtq</b><br />Stock: 13.74 @ 102.14 2.1 60\'<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/silvertaws6\" target=\"_blank\">http://members.cardomain.com/silvertaws6</a> <br /><br /><b>1984 Firebird S/E M5</b><br />2.8L

Comment

Congrats [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
          - Ryan<br /> A.K.A BATMAN<br /> \"Be part of the solution...<br /> Not the problem\"

Comment

i found a preety good alignment setup for my car for auto crossing check it out.

-1 degree of negative camber i the fron both sides
            -1/8 total toe out in the front
            -factory set caster
            it seemed to help out with the push if you have lowering springs the more negative camber in the front the less push (understeer)but you might wear out tires a bit faster on the street

the best improvements i like was suspension techniques sway bar from sam strano and the koni double adjustable shocks.

[ May 24, 2003: Message edited by: O0oSKAMo0O ]</p>
            •)))2000 3.8L V6 FIREBIRD (Navy Blue) 5 speed <br />•Aluminum Alloy 3-piece custom built wheels - 17x10 (front)- 17x11.5 (rear) Tires:Front: 275/40-17 - Rear:315/35-17• Suspension Techniques 1 3/8 \" Solid front Sway Bar• H&R Springs • Koni revalved double adjustable shocks (front)• Bilstien Custom Revalved shocks (rear)• K&N •Magna Flow Dual Exaust• Stock wheels W/Hoosier Road Racing tires • Sound System•<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/o0oskamo0o\" target=\"_blank\">•THE RIDE•</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X