Tire Sizing for Autocross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Sizing for Autocross

This is what I sent to the TireRack folks. You all have any input? Thanks!

I'm going to be autocrossing this season (2002), and don't want to use my street tires. I've got 4 16x8 (stock size) wheels extra already, so i'll likely be using these for competition. I need to know what tire size to use with these wheels. I'm looking for the best performance for the autocross track, and the tires won't be in use while driving to / from events. I'm interested in the Kuhmo V700 Victoracers, but am not sure which tire to use -- the 225/50/16's, 245/45/16's, or 265/45/16's. Or the Yokohama A032R's in 225/50/16's, 245/45/16's, or 255/50/16's. The slight price difference between the Yokohama's and the Kuhmo's is not a significant factor, but the fact that they will last all season is (one season is truthfully all I expect). Thanks for your help! It's time to have some fast V6's!
    [edit]Or would it be better to get some ECSTA Supra V712's (street tires) that are $50 cheaper each than the Victoracer AX tires to begin with? or would they chunk away very quickly and be useless ...[/edit]
    -Rob Beasley
    rbeas@wam.umd.edu

[ January 18, 2002: Message edited by: Wicked 3800 V6 ]</p>
    <b>97 Camaro 3.8L M5</b><br />Car for sale<a href=\"http://terpmotors.com\" target=\"_blank\">terpmotors.com</a> Terrapin Motorsports! UMCP

"Or would it be better to get some ECSTA Supra V712's (street tires) that are $50 cheaper each than the Victoracer AX tires to begin with? or would they chunk away very quickly and be useless ..."

I've been out of this game for a while, so I don't know what the best autocross tires are, but, if autocross tires are legal in your class (have you checked?) street tires would be hopeless. The difference can easily be 0.1g.

So, more important than the best theoretical size is: What are the best tires? Then see what size they come in. Of the sizes you've listed I'd be tempted by 245/45, pretty wide, pretty short sidewall.
    2000 Firebird convert, chameleon/tan, M5, Y87, TCS, BMR tower brace and panhard, KBDD sfcs, 245/50-16 GSCs

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
    Working...
    X