Will a torque converter help my nitrous ET? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will a torque converter help my nitrous ET?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a torque converter help my nitrous ET?

im not too familiar with them..i spray right off the line anyway..so assuming i hook up..would a 3200 TC help my nitrous ET just as much as it would NA or would i not really see as big of a difference?
    <b>12 SECOND DUAL STAGE DRY NITROUS POWERED 98 A4 V6 CAMARO<br /><a href=\"http://www.mysickcamaro.50megs.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.MySickCamaro.50megs.com</a><br />Best ET: 12.82@103<br />Best MPH: 104.7<br />Best 60\': 1.75 - Stock TC</b><br /> </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Originally posted by Shodown:<br /><strong>1DV6 runs 12\'s...enough said. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">

You would see a very big differance as long as you hooked.

Basically a torque converter if stalled properly will immediatly throw you into your power band causing you to cut a faster 60' and 1/4 mile.

Nitrous only accentuates these bonuses.

Get the car dynoed first and see where your powerband is and match the stall of your converter accordingly.

Comment

sweet..do you use one? ..id like to hear from you guys that do
      <b>12 SECOND DUAL STAGE DRY NITROUS POWERED 98 A4 V6 CAMARO<br /><a href=\"http://www.mysickcamaro.50megs.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.MySickCamaro.50megs.com</a><br />Best ET: 12.82@103<br />Best MPH: 104.7<br />Best 60\': 1.75 - Stock TC</b><br /> </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Originally posted by Shodown:<br /><strong>1DV6 runs 12\'s...enough said. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">

Comment

nachius had a yank 2800 i believe.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
        http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
        Or this

Comment

I tried 2 and neither worked well for me. Couldn't even spin the tires. Slower 60ft and 1/4. Basically I was pissed. Went back to the stock converter and ran 11's. [img]smile.gif[/img]
          2004 CE Corvette 10.86@132mph
          1996 Supercharged/Nitrous Camaro RS (For Sale)
          2011 Cadillac CTS-V
          2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-P
          2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

Shirl what kind of converters did you try?

Comment

I had
              stock
              a custom built 2800 converter
              A PI Vig 3500 converter
              a Yank 2800 converter

The custom 2800 verter sucked
              the PV VIg was my fav, but I shredded every spline inside it
              the Yank 2800 was a good efficient, butnot stalled high enough for me!

Thats why I said have it dynoed to see where you make the power.

Shirl did have bad luck with converters, but I am willing to bet if she would have had it dynoed then a verter built specifically for her app she would have had better luck and faster times!

Comment

hmmm..im thinking Yank then..about how much will a Yank converter run me?

and what was the biggest gain you saw with a torque converter?

Comment

I have an Edge 3200 stall and I pull 1.9's consistently.
                  2001 FirebirdW68<br /><br />Whisper Lid; SLP CAI w/K & N, Flowmaster Am. Thunder, B & M Shift kit w/ Servo, 3200 stall Edge Racing Converter, Tranny Cooler, Nittos, 180* stat, Taylor Spiro Pros w/ NGK\'s, MAFT, Royal Purple.

Comment

cool..do you know what your overall 1/4 gain was?

Comment

the serious guys use a nitrous converter, which is built (compared to a regular converter) so it can handle the hit, especially if you spray out of the hole.

Comment

where would i get a nitrous converter?

Comment

i believe PI, coan, edge, etc. make nitrous converters for the 4L60E.

Comment

I had a PI, then went with Coan (who sent me the WRONG converter that didn't even fit the car) and then I tried Yank which didn't work out either. Basically, the companies "guess" at building the right converter. You have to give them as much info as humanly possible about your car and then it is still hit or miss. It is better to do what Nachius said and get specifics with dyno runs so that they have exact numbers to work with. The Yank converter cost me an arm and a leg.. about $800. It was crap. Then I had a hard time returning it and had to threaten them to get my refund. If you're going to get a converter, I'd recommend an Edge. Talk to Andre, he's got great customer service there unlike the others.
                            2004 CE Corvette 10.86@132mph
                            1996 Supercharged/Nitrous Camaro RS (For Sale)
                            2011 Cadillac CTS-V
                            2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-P
                            2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

They do not guess.

TOO many people know NOTHING of high stall converter.... or worse... they ASSUME!

If you are looking at converters address EVERY other aspect on the car first! You are NOT ready for one!

When I had a custom made nitrous converter for the bird the first time I provided:
                              modification list
                              dyno #'s
                              dyno graphs
                              current timeslips

It cost $700 - Pro Yank 3200 nitrous converter
                              2.8 STR - 95.5-96% effeciency at 5,800 rpm's

I knocked off 0.7 seconds off my 1/4 mile times!

I snuck into a 1.88 60 ft with 3:23 gears!

I lost NO mph with that, I saw 33 mpg with this converter!

New one- $800
                              Super Street - again from Yank
                              4200 stall
                              I now cut 1.75 N/A with this converter + 4:10's

I knocked off another 0.3 in the 1/4
                              I lost NO mph, actually gained some this time.

I have NO complaints with mine (BOTH of them!)

Yank has been incredible to me, great customer service, made a bad @ss product for me.

1danger..... you are NOT ready for one.
                              Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
                              nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
                              2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
                              2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X