how much does weight reduction help? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how much does weight reduction help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much does weight reduction help?

i mean, really. i see some people taking out their ash trays.. thats ridiculous. but here is my question. is their a ratio like.. X amount of pounds = .1 off your 1/4 mile ET or something. ive heard, "every 150 pounds is .1" which IMO would make it seem ridiculous to do any weight reduction at all. anyone know?
    Dave:
    00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
    97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

there is no perfectly direct ratio from weight reduction to et reduciton. the old rule of thumb was always 100lbs = 1tech or 1mph.
    that doeswn't take into account where the weight is removed from though. if you have a car taht doesn't hook well and take 30lbs off the nose(switching from a standard battery to a dry cell) you should see more than a .03 inprovement in your overall et if all else is equal.
    weight removed from the driveline is also very important. it serves to make the components the engine has to move easier to get going and it also drops the total mass the engine has to move.
    weight reduction alone is not the savior of a cars performance, but it is definately a part of the formula if you want to get maximum performnace from teh car.

later
    tim
    NJ SPEEDER<br />1976 Camaro LT<br />Crate 350, TH350, 3.90 posi<br />New Jersey F-Body Owners Association<br /><a href=\"http://www.NJFBOA.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.NJFBOA.org</a>

Comment

That's about right... 100lbs. = about .1 which is why I opted to leave my car alone. I like having a fully optioned car with ac, power everything, leather seats, etc. ;) And it's just not worth ripping the car apart unless you're going to go diehard and gut the car just for racing. You're better off getting some lightweight easy bolt-on parts to interchange such as wheels/tires and maybe only taking out things that are easy to replace such as the spare tire and maybe the rear seat. All depends on what your goals and intentions are.
      2004 CE Corvette 10.86@132mph
      1996 Supercharged/Nitrous Camaro RS (For Sale)
      2011 Cadillac CTS-V
      2011 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT-P
      2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS

Comment

I'm currently removing all rear seat brackets/ seat belt brackets. Almost every little thing imaginable has been removed. Some might consider it ridiculous, but all the little stuff adds up to a lot of weight.

g
        2002 Pewter V6 Camaro M5 <br /><br />Quickest stock-motor N/A V6 4th Gen F-body.<br />2nd Quickest N/A V6 4th Gen F-body overall.<br />mods: Gear, weight reduction, tuning <br /><br />Fear the Gear. 13.585 @ 100.05 1.827 60\'<br /><br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.NJFBOA.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.NJFBOA.org</a>

Comment

Originally posted by Shirl:
          That's about right... 100lbs. = about .1 which is why I opted to leave my car alone. I like having a fully optioned car with ac, power everything, leather seats, etc. ;) And it's just not worth ripping the car apart unless you're going to go diehard and gut the car just for racing. You're better off getting some lightweight easy bolt-on parts to interchange such as wheels/tires and maybe only taking out things that are easy to replace such as the spare tire and maybe the rear seat. All depends on what your goals and intentions are.
          I agree its about your racing style... I drive my car everyday, I enjoy having it be like a normal car. Heck not even sure I will go with a catback and just stick with my cutout.

I enjoy goig out, redoing a few things then taking it to the track.

But then again people disagree with my ideas too, and tell me pulling the belt is "cheating" but hey, I drive to the track, remove it, race, put it back on, and drive home. But whatever i think it gives my car more of a stock feel, but still fun to race.

with the !air silencer, it takes like 5 secs to remove it, and 30 secs to put it back on, 10 secs to double check, and just incase I mis do it once I have my stocker that was gettng old in my tool bag in the trunk, that will be more then fine to get me home.
          -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

yea so if 100lbs is .1, removing spare/jack/backseat takes off what like .07 or something? thats such a waste IMO..
            Dave:
            97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

Depends on how much a hundredth is worth to you. To me, it's definitely not a waste.

g
              2002 Pewter V6 Camaro M5 <br /><br />Quickest stock-motor N/A V6 4th Gen F-body.<br />2nd Quickest N/A V6 4th Gen F-body overall.<br />mods: Gear, weight reduction, tuning <br /><br />Fear the Gear. 13.585 @ 100.05 1.827 60\'<br /><br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.NJFBOA.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.NJFBOA.org</a>

Comment

little g is the master for weight reduction. all i have to say is swiss cheese! if you really really want to get into it all you have to know is that g is extreme he doesn't even have a radio. he took that out along with all his wires, etc. all this stuff you didn't even think you had, he has removed.

me i don't do weight reduction. i know i'm in 12's at full weight! but if you want a faster car and don't have the money, weight reduction is free!
                WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

12s on 18" chrome C5s and full interior ;)
                  <b>12 SECOND DUAL STAGE DRY NITROUS POWERED 98 A4 V6 CAMARO<br /><a href=\"http://www.mysickcamaro.50megs.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.MySickCamaro.50megs.com</a><br />Best ET: 12.82@103<br />Best MPH: 104.7<br />Best 60\': 1.75 - Stock TC</b><br /> </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Originally posted by Shodown:<br /><strong>1DV6 runs 12\'s...enough said. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">

Comment

yea.. screw weight reduction lol
                    Dave:
                    97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by dmw319:
                      yea.. screw weight reduction lol
                      Then I hope your content with your car never being as fast as it *could* be.

- Justin
                      <a href=\"http://www.njfboa.org\" target=\"_blank\">New Jersey F-Body Owners Association</a><br />1987 Camaro LT - 400sbc, Aluminum L98\'s w/valve job, Comp XE 274, Q-Junk 750, 3.23 posi, 4.10\'s soon.<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.njfboa.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=11\" target=\"_blank\">East Coast F-Body Nationals - August 14, 2005</a>

Comment

what like.. .05 quicker? woop dee frickin doo. its my daily driver, so yea.. im content with it. i need my AC and etc. itll suck when you guys break down from a flat and have to get towed..
                        Dave:
                        97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

i dont need AC EVER which sux up my gas.
                          in 5 years i've used it maybe 6 times.
                          2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

yup who needs AC took that thing out and put a new belt without AC very nice!
                            lil_scrappy97@yahoo.com

Comment

man i could never live without AC. you live in TX too! crazy..
                              Dave:
                              97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X