What do i need to know about my car before i go to the drags? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do i need to know about my car before i go to the drags?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do i need to know about my car before i go to the drags?

I'll be going to a test and tune at Lebanon Valley with some folks from the board. What do i need to know before i go? I dont know much about the strip, i'm rather nervous because i've never been to the strip before. What is a dial in? I was reading through their handbook and it mentioned it several times but i have no idea what it is. I've read the sticky's at the top of the forum, i've got a helmet, what other kind of stuff do i need to bring wiht me? Thanks in advance for all of your help
    1995 Camaro 3.4L Black with T tops, 5 speed manual<br /><br />Mods:<br />Pro 5.0 short throw shifter, MSD Ignition coils, 3.73 gears, Torsen LSD,Mac diff cover, Umi LCAs<br />K&N Cold Air Intake, Window Tint (20% rear, 35%front), aluminum driveshaft, fastchip tuning

A dial-in is a guesstimated time, by you, of what you think you are going to run. These are used in bracket races. For example, if you dial-in a 16.50 and run a 16.55, and your opponent dials 16.50 and runs 16.56, you win, because you are closer to your guessed time than they were. But, if you dial 16.50 and you run 16.499 or better, its considered a "breakout". If your opponent would also happen to break out, then the person closest to their dialed-in time wins.

As far as what you need to bring....you wont need anything because you arent running faster than 13.99. Obviously, bring your license and insurance....all that good crap. Take all loose junk out of your car so it doesnt move around.

But best of all, have fun.

Comment

bracket racing is fun [img]smile.gif[/img] ..but i'd just start out doing test & tune..you dont have to dial in or anything like that..its just a simple "when the light turns green floor it"..if you've never track raced before you may just want to watch a few runs first

basically..you're lane will get called..when the guys motions you to move up..drive up to the water box and wait there (drive around it if on street tires)..after the cars in front of you that are on the line take off..you'll be motioned by another guy to go up to the line..you'll see a line on the track..move up to it slowly until your front tires on on it..you'll know when they're on it by looking at the top of the lights..you'll light up two sets of little yellow lights..when both racers are on the line and have they're lights lit up they will start the tree lights..when it turns green..gun it..i actually launch on the yellow light just before the green one to bring my reaction time down..reaction time matters in bracket racing..but doesnt mean anything in test & tune..its just cool to see how perfect you can get it

bring your helmet..all racers should wear one no matter how fast you go..and bring cash..lebanon valley is a cash only facility..and like Punisher said..have fun! ..its gonna kick @ss [img]smile.gif[/img]
      <b>12 SECOND DUAL STAGE DRY NITROUS POWERED 98 A4 V6 CAMARO<br /><a href=\"http://www.mysickcamaro.50megs.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.MySickCamaro.50megs.com</a><br />Best ET: 12.82@103<br />Best MPH: 104.7<br />Best 60\': 1.75 - Stock TC</b><br /> </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Originally posted by Shodown:<br /><strong>1DV6 runs 12\'s...enough said. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">

Comment

if this is yo=ur first tiem to teh track don't worry about anything.
        give your car a quick little safety check over before you leave the house. check the air in teh tires, make sure your batt hold down is snugged good, and make sure you don't have any loose junk around in the car.
        dial-ins wont' come up at a test adn tune, that is for competitive racing.
        just have fun, talk to teh more experienced guys for advice, and play around with how you launch teh car. the idea of the first trip is always to enjoy yourself and learn a little about teh car.

good luck.

later
        tim
        NJ SPEEDER<br />1976 Camaro LT<br />Crate 350, TH350, 3.90 posi<br />New Jersey F-Body Owners Association<br /><a href=\"http://www.NJFBOA.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.NJFBOA.org</a>

Comment

yeah its gonna rock [img]smile.gif[/img] ..and yes make sure your battery tie down is all good..they look pretty closely at that..mine was loose the first couple times out this season..i just said id take care of it and they let me through..now its all tight..im annual tech inspected so now i dont even have to be looked at the rest of the season anyway..and if you have a helmet they'll check to make sure its SNELL certified and has the correct rating..other than that they dont really care
          <b>12 SECOND DUAL STAGE DRY NITROUS POWERED 98 A4 V6 CAMARO<br /><a href=\"http://www.mysickcamaro.50megs.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.MySickCamaro.50megs.com</a><br />Best ET: 12.82@103<br />Best MPH: 104.7<br />Best 60\': 1.75 - Stock TC</b><br /> </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Originally posted by Shodown:<br /><strong>1DV6 runs 12\'s...enough said. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">

Comment

You should know where the gas and brake pedals are.
            New Toy Red 94 Formula LT1
            RT: .0006 60': 1.894 1/8 mile: 8.351 @ 84.89 1/4 mile: 12.974 @ 107.81
            crashed Red 96 Camaro 3.8l: 14.91 @ 92.38
            The ex wife's Black 98 Firebird 3.8l: 15.23 @ 88.12

Comment

Originally posted by '98 BlackBird:
              You should know where the gas and brake pedals are.
              they're in the back, right? they're what i use to store my t-tops in the trunk...
              1995 Camaro 3.4L Black with T tops, 5 speed manual<br /><br />Mods:<br />Pro 5.0 short throw shifter, MSD Ignition coils, 3.73 gears, Torsen LSD,Mac diff cover, Umi LCAs<br />K&N Cold Air Intake, Window Tint (20% rear, 35%front), aluminum driveshaft, fastchip tuning

Comment

[img]graemlins/rofl.gif[/img]

Comment

http://www.camarov6.com/ubb/ultimate...;f=10;t=001517
                  Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
                  nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
                  2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
                  2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

already read 'em several times. Thanks for your help everyone, it's greatly appreciated. I cant wait to hit the track. I'm a bit nervous but i'm sure i'll get over it as soon as i get to the track and watch a few runs.

Comment

Originally posted by xX315Xx:
                      </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 12secondv6:
                      http://www.camarov6.com/ubb/ultimate...;f=10;t=001517
                      already read 'em several times. Thanks for your help everyone, it's greatly appreciated. I cant wait to hit the track. I'm a bit nervous but i'm sure i'll get over it as soon as i get to the track and watch a few runs. </font>[/QUOTE]Just remember.... have fun!
                      Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
                      nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
                      2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
                      2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X