planned weight reduction for the track - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

planned weight reduction for the track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planned weight reduction for the track

I spent some time at work figuring out how much weight i'm going to save by removing the back and passenger seats, the spare and jack, and running on a 1/4 tank of gas, as well as the projected times. Here we go:

1 gallon of gasoline = 8.66 lbs., our tank is 15.5 gallons. therefore:

full tank = 15.5 gal. = 134.23 lbs.
    3/4 tank = 11.625 gal = 106.67 lbs.
    1/2 tank = 7.75 gal. = 67.11 lbs.
    1/4 tank = 3.875 gal. = 33.55 lbs.

the removed seats have a weight of 47 lbs. the spare/jack weigh 35 lbs. that adds up to a total of 82 lbs. my race weight last saturday was 3642 lbs., fully loaded, 3/4 tank of gas. the removed items bring the weight down to 3560 lbs. the weight difference between a 3/4 tank of gas and a 1/4 tank is 73.12 lbs. 3560 - 73.12 = 3486.88 lbs.

Now, every 100 lbs. removed is supposed to equal .1 sec off the E/T. according to my calculations, 155.12 lbs. is removed, so i should shave .15512 of my time. 15.837 - .155 = 15.681 seconds. also, running in cooler temps will help greatly. I think i can run a 15.4 with the weight reduction in cooler temps. what do you think?
    \'98 Camaro - SOLD<br />Best E/T: 15.489 @ 86.48 MPH<br />60\': 2.131<br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/skorpion317\" target=\"_blank\">members.cardomain.com/skorpion317 </a><br />1998 Saturn SL2<br />Official <a href=\"http://www.njdisturbance.com\" target=\"_blank\">NJ Disturbance</a> bracket racer

try it and see ;) i think it is sound guestimate
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

just don't run your tank too close to empty... then you start to suck up all the dirt and grime and whathaveyou in the bottom.

i think running in decent fall weather (lower temperature and humidity whenever it comes around) will help you the most... it definitely helped me!

Comment

sounds like you have alot figured out! good luck
        2000 Navy Blue T-top Camaro A4<br />TSP Rumbler <br />Carsound Hi-flo Cat<br />!MAF screen<br />Whisper lid<br />HPP3

Comment

Originally posted by RallyRed 98:
          just don't run your tank too close to empty... then you start to suck up all the dirt and grime and whathaveyou in the bottom.

i think running in decent fall weather (lower temperature and humidity whenever it comes around) will help you the most... it definitely helped me!
          uhh where's the dirt come from?

fall weather should be a BIG help...this weekend, i'm gonna try to run at night. WeatherBug forecasts low 60s for Friday night, mostly clear. sounds like it's gonna be a good nite.

EDIT: checked out some E/T calculators on Prestage.com...i should run a 15.60 @ 87.37 MPH according to their calculator. that's right on par with what i expected, hopefully i can run quicker in colder temps.

[ September 01, 2004, 04:51 AM: Message edited by: skorpion317 ]
          \'98 Camaro - SOLD<br />Best E/T: 15.489 @ 86.48 MPH<br />60\': 2.131<br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/skorpion317\" target=\"_blank\">members.cardomain.com/skorpion317 </a><br />1998 Saturn SL2<br />Official <a href=\"http://www.njdisturbance.com\" target=\"_blank\">NJ Disturbance</a> bracket racer

Comment

damn dude...nice work...hope you kick some ***! [img]smile.gif[/img]
            (aspracing.com has a nice online dyno too)
            <b>12 SECOND DUAL STAGE DRY NITROUS POWERED 98 A4 V6 CAMARO<br /><a href=\"http://www.mysickcamaro.50megs.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.MySickCamaro.50megs.com</a><br />Best ET: 12.82@103<br />Best MPH: 104.7<br />Best 60\': 1.75 - Stock TC</b><br /> </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">Originally posted by Shodown:<br /><strong>1DV6 runs 12\'s...enough said. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif\">

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• LETZRIDE
              New Owner!
              by LETZRIDE
              I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
              4 days ago
            • ssms5411
              Little work today
              by ssms5411
              Went ahead and moved my starter wire from the back, to the front again since it had no effect on my drain on the battery. Also made me nervous driving...
              2 weeks ago
            • LETZRIDE
              Tom Henry RS Pt 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff
              by LETZRIDE

Building the Tom Henry RS
              Part 4: Suspension Mods, Tires, Wheels, Headers and other Cool Stuff.
              By: Hib Halverson

At the end of Part Three, we changed the valvetrain of the 3.8-liter V6 in the Tom Henry RS. We installed new, Yella Terra "Ultralite" 1.8:1, aluminum roller rocker arms, Katech valve springs and Katech titanium retainers on our 3800 Series II V6.
              Ultralites are nearly 25% lighter than the stock 1.6 rockers and 8% lighter than the SLP aluminum...
              02-07-2020, 10:30 PM

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X