New setup: 4 psi shakedown run: 14.5 @ 95 - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New setup: 4 psi shakedown run: 14.5 @ 95

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New setup: 4 psi shakedown run: 14.5 @ 95

Hit Richmond Dragway last night with a group of V6 owners who hang out in the Virginia forum. Track conditions weren't all that great--hot, humid weather and my engine was at 210 degrees for almost every run. I knew the times wouldn't be very impressive but rather than just not race until the current issues are fixed I said f it and ran anyway. Got 6 runs in, could have done a lot more but there wasn't much of a point as the car wasn't exactly running top-notch.

We re-installed the supercharger the week after AIS but were missing some parts. The "15 psi" pulley is on but we had cannibalized some parts over the winter to put on Pathogen. We made do with what we had but apparently that didn't work. The new pulley is smaller than the old one so we needed a shorter belt... but we weren't sure how much shorter, so we guessed. Guessed wrong... belt's slipping. What's worse, there's a loud WOOSH sound anytime I hit throttle. There's an air leak in the intake somewhere, probably a result of ghetto parts holding the intake pipes together. I only saw 5 psi in second gear on the first run, 4 psi in third gear, and in following runs the boost dropped to 2 psi and finally 0. I blew out the intake pipes several times resulting in times ranging from 15.5 to 16.9.

NA at AIS ran a best of 15.4, now at 4-5 psi best was the first run: (all on street tires)

RT .3786 (asleep)
    60: 2.1529
    1/8 ET: 9.3955
    1/8 mph: 75.43
    1/4 ET: 14.5294
    1/4 mph: 95.81

We're going to replace all of the rubber connectors on the intake pipes in the following week as well as get a smaller belt.

Other than the boost pressure drop the car ran fine... I swear its saving itself for James. ;)

Overall I'm not that disappointed, a full 1 second ET drop on 4 psi with a slipping belt and an air leak isn't all that bad. We'll see what happens the next time around in 2 weeks or so.

[ May 29, 2004, 06:47 PM: Message edited by: Stefan ]

Its good that you post all of your times, even the ones that weren't what you were hoping for. I hate it when people only post "I ran 14.9 today" but don't mention all the other track trips when they ran consistent 15.5s. Get that intake thing solved and run some 13s! [img]graemlins/rock.gif[/img]

95 mph is good for a max of 5 psi, especially since the boost was dropping off in each gear.
    -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

Not bad...

Your bugs don't sound to severe and hell some of them may be curable with duct tape ;) But knowing you, you will go the full route.

Sucks when you cannot run your car 100%, and you know it has so much more... I am stuck there now, just saving money for the part I need to get me going at the track again.

Look at the bright side about running at the track not 100% seems like the bug in your system faster [img]smile.gif[/img]

but cool your posting your times, you usually tend to be the secretive type [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Fix the bugs. And for gods sake, get a fan switch. Shouldn't that be everybody's first mod with these crazy "hey I go up to 210 from sitting at a stoplight" engines?

Hey, I'm still faster. But glad to see you posting times. You're goin' down!

Oh btw, I blew off intake fittings too. I actually bracketed through to the second round, even after blowing a fitting, because a dude broke out. Whatever ... just takes the little nut driver to reattach everything!
        -Rob

[ June 01, 2004, 01:41 AM: Message edited by: Wicked 3800 V6 ]
        <b>97 Camaro 3.8L M5</b><br />Car for sale<a href=\"http://terpmotors.com\" target=\"_blank\">terpmotors.com</a> Terrapin Motorsports! UMCP

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan:
          Other than the boost pressure drop the car ran fine... I swear its saving itself for James. ;)
          Hee hee, bring it!
          Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
          nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
          2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
          2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

good runs...

Stefan.. not to call you out.. but a little while back there was a forum in which you and a few others were insulting certain members for using the word "shakedown" in their turbo runs. Saying you ran what you ran.. that's it..
            I just find it ironic that u used the same word to describe yours

keep us updated!
            ~The Guru\'s Guru~<br />1999 Camaro,K&N,!MAF<br />!airsilencer,3.08s,<br />NGK-TR6\'s,Taylor Blue 8mm wires,FRAM,A4,Catco Cat, Magnaflow 3 inch catback,transgo shift kit<br />Waiting: RK sport headers, custom y pipe electric cutout<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc\" target=\"_blank\">www.cardomain.com/id/divinejc</a>

Comment

Congrats Stefan. Your going to have one helluva setup once you get it where you want... your just too conservative on it in the meantime.... though so am I, havent been to the track yet. [img]smile.gif[/img]
              \'01 Mineral Grey SVT Cobra<br />-former F-body owner

Comment

With all that and you still pulled 14 sec. that's pretty good. I'm sure once all the bugs are worked out it would be a good 13 sec. 12 once you that 15psi in.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X