5 speed launching techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 speed launching techniques

I need to work on my sixties and i wanted to know how everyone launches. I just hold the tach at 2 g's and dump the clutch on the 3rd yellow. Do I need to be letting it out slower to avoid spinning or what? Let me know.
    96 3.8 red camaro. <br />headers,cam,valve springs,retainers,auburn lsd,3.73 gears,SLP cold air,accel coils,24lb injectors,8mm plug wires,air temp module,LT1 diveshaft,removed a/c,edelbrock torque arm,spohn LCA\'s and PHR

i don't really dump, but i let it out quickly at 4000 rpm... then again i'm running 275s and LSD.

that probably won't work so well on a pegleg. when eric (mustangeater) decides to return to the board i'm sure he'll tell you all the secrets to launching with an open diff.

Comment

I'll only have the peg leg until the 18th. Onc I get back to michigan with my Nitrous, Im putting it in. Thats why I want advice. I get back the 18th abd am going to Milan Dragway for test and tune on the 19th.
      P.S. I will be on E.T. Streets also.
      96 3.8 red camaro. <br />headers,cam,valve springs,retainers,auburn lsd,3.73 gears,SLP cold air,accel coils,24lb injectors,8mm plug wires,air temp module,LT1 diveshaft,removed a/c,edelbrock torque arm,spohn LCA\'s and PHR

Comment

With my street tires and on a half-*** prepped track i rev and hold mine to 2500-2800 and dump the clutch, feathering has always hurt my ET's

BTW: i hope you have a clutch for the ET streets cuz my 245 Nitto's slip my stock one!
        <b>Black</b> 1998 Pontiac <i>Firebird</i> A-4 swap<br />271.4rwhp/259.4rwtq NA<br />13.30@102.44 <br /><a href=\"http://www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98\" target=\"_blank\">www.freewebs.com/wickedsix98</a>

Comment

I know it is terrible for your clutch but on the steet i have had better luck with a bit of feathering. Rev till about 35-3700 and let out the clutch. It is a very fine line for me between just dumping the clutch and feathering. My launch seems hardest if i am able to let the clutch out just heavy enough to get a very small amount of wheel spin.

Comment

I rev it up to ~3000-3500 and I featehr the clutch out, as I let it out I progressively let it out harder...

I start lettig it slow then at the last second I am dumping it... Its hard to explain... its sort of a quick feathering of the clutch.

Comment

thanks for trying to explain it though. I went to milan yesterday and still couldn't do better than 2.3. It motivated me though. I was at the machine shop getting my bearings pressed on early this morning. Now all i need is a day without rain, or at least 3 hours of no rain anyways.

Comment

3000 - 3500
                Damned...
                When I tried up to 2500 rpm, I've smoked my tires...

MustangEater8251, are you able to put it on a video?
                99\' Camaro M5 3.23 LSD<br />-SLP CAI,K&N,Whisper Lid,!MAF Screen<br />-2\'5 Flowmaster Catback <br />-BMR STB<br />-Kumho 712 supra 245/50/16<br /> <a href=\"http://www.camaroV6.fr\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.camaroV6.fr</a>

Comment

You don't completely dump it at 3000 ... you have to be a bit more gentle.

Comment

dump from 3k-3.2k

Of course this is w/ nittos, lsd, and 3.73s....

I would launch harder but my clutch would slip.
                    Keith - 99 'maro - White M5 - bumpstick and boltons - 13.65 @ 101 N/A
                    "I ain't too big to listen to the rumors, I'm just too @#$% big to pay attention to them" - Dr. Dre
                    http://seppo.hopto.org/

Comment

Practice is the key.

I dump the neon

I've dumped pathogen and smoked the tires

Sometimes a car likes to be dumped or slipped.

It depends on the suspension and tire
                      Race car - gone but not forgotten - 1997 firebird V6
                      nitrous et & mph: 12.168 & 110.95 mph, n/a 13.746 & 96.38 mph
                      2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8: 12.125, 116.45
                      2010 Ford Taurus SHO: no times yet

Comment

When I take off in my 5speed, I'm usually sitting right at 2 grand.. I let out the clutch fast enough to have it fully catch within about a half second.. With my open diff, I'm getting slight wheel spin for maybe 3 feet, then it hooks up. But I also have 275s in the rear..
                        2001 Camaro, 3.8 v6. Five speed. Red. SLP Torque arm, SLP CAI, adj. panhard bar, lcas, eibach springs, 3.73 gears and Zexel-Torsen T-2 LSD.

Comment

Originally posted by FRENCH_CAMAROV6:
                          3000 - 3500
                          Damned...
                          When I tried up to 2500 rpm, I've smoked my tires...

MustangEater8251, are you able to put it on a video?
                          Possibly...

I'll see if I have some free time tomorrow, problem is I might not be able to do it right... I have been having some clutch problems as of recently [img]smile.gif[/img]

If I do I am gonna have to send via AIM... It will be too big for me to upload, unless someone can host it for me...

[ May 27, 2004, 03:57 AM: Message edited by: MustangEater8251 ]

Comment

Originally posted by MustangEater8251:
                            I rev it up to ~3000-3500 and I featehr the clutch out, as I let it out I progressively let it out harder...

I start lettig it slow then at the last second I am dumping it... Its hard to explain... its sort of a quick feathering of the clutch.
                            This is exactly what I do. I also have 275's, posi, and a 5 speed. It seems to work well for me. I hope to get to the track soon, and really heat them up, and try it. Hopefully I could hit a 2.1 60'. I would be happy with that. ;)
                            Jordan<br />15.09@90.7<br /><a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=21\" target=\"_blank\"><b>1995 Camaro 3.4 M5</b></a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X