Whys my 1/4 mile so bad..help anyone?? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whys my 1/4 mile so bad..help anyone??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whys my 1/4 mile so bad..help anyone??

Since the transmision went out on my drag car I have tried to run my 97 Camaro RS. It has a 3.8 motor(no mods) with about 85,000 on it, i have a automatic transmission, and 3.08 gears. The car runs around a 16.8 on average and at least once an event wil run around a 17.2. I dont understand why it is running so slow, but I am more worried about the inconsitancy. It shifts at exactly 6,000 every time. I changed my spark plugs, air filter, trans fluid, oil, just about everything. I've ran at a couple different tracks all with the same result.
    Basically every track that doesnt use a pro tree(lights flash all at the same time) runs on a .500 tree. However my track leaves the .5 off of the reation time on the time slip to make it easier.Even though R/T has nothign to do with my quarter mile time I included them anyway to help show I am not new to this sport. These runs were made within about 45 min.- 1 hour of each other on a about 65 degree day at an elevation of approx. 2,000 Ft. I do not know the humidity but it was not humid. Sorry I couldnt find a 17 second run...i must have trown them all away..lol

Run 1 2 3
    R/T .022(.522) .006(.506) .001(.501)
    60' 2.564 2.554 2.522
    1/8 10.767 10.834 10.838
    MPH 66.258 65.516 65.962
    1/4 16.622 16.807 16.766
    MPH 83.170 83.135 82.659

Once again this is in an automatic..I put it in Drive and stomp on it. I launch from 1,500 RPM because thats what i bump in at. Also I am not spinning tires on my 60' ft. I cant even chirp them no matter how hard i try unless I brake stand it. I was thinking that something is wrong with my car but after reading other posts on this site I see there are other cars with similiar problems. Any Help anyone has would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Alot. ...OH..also..A couple people comented on that the car smells like gas when i pull into my garage and im not 100% sure but i think I am getting bad gas mileage.
    97 RS,3.73 LSD,Flowmaster,Shift Kit,Edge TC,HP Tuners,EWP,SLP CAI,160*,Touchscreen monitor,& Alpine Stereo(155.2dB)15.27 N/A 1.9X 60\'s and a magic switch.

well... you are at 2000ft.. have an auto, and 3.08 gears with no lsd... so you are going to be running pretty slow anyway... Overall, it's your 60' that looks weak to me. You aren't new to the sport, but for most people here, brake-stalling up to 1,500 or so is the best way to launch.. overall, your times don't look TOO strangely out of line for that elevation,gear, and lack of LSD.

-Justin

P.S. maybe your injectors are bad and you're only getting 90% fuel or something?
    <b><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/drkmind11\" target=\"_blank\">2000 Red Firebird Coupe, A4.</a></b> ((3.42 Gears, LSD Stock))<br />Details: 3\" Edelbrock Exhaust, 3\" Catco Cat,160* Thermostat, 8% Tint, TA Chrome Wheels, Viper 550.

Comment

Yea thats about right. Its your 60' more than anything

If you cut a 2.2-2.3 60' you'll be low 16s POSSIBLY high 15s on a good day which is what stock 3.08 3.8s run average.

Practice your launch hold the brake down and push the gas down until you start to feel the tires let loose. note the rpm and stall it just before you know it will let loose. when the light goes you should be sitting at about 1500-1800 rpms depending on your converter and slam the gas to the floor.

Comment

I think i was wrong about my elevation..i checked into it a little bit and a couple other sites said 750'.
        97 RS,3.73 LSD,Flowmaster,Shift Kit,Edge TC,HP Tuners,EWP,SLP CAI,160*,Touchscreen monitor,& Alpine Stereo(155.2dB)15.27 N/A 1.9X 60\'s and a magic switch.

Comment

when i saw ur 60', i was like [img]graemlins/omg.gif[/img]
          it is defiantly that and im not sure that it isnt just your launch. wait awhile and see what people say. im felling a car problem
          2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

You about normal for 3.08s and a open diff at elevation. Your 60ft time bite hard dude. Just just have to acclimate to the car. You're used to driving a drag car so it will take some time getting used to the 6.
            2000 Firebird. Whisper Lid, True duals, TSP mail order tune, Built Tranny , TCI 2800 stall verter, B&M tranny cooler, Eaton LSD, 3.42 gears. Current best ET. 15.232 89.09 MPH 2.175 60ft on stock 3.42\'s and open diff.<a href=\"http://www.geocities.c

Comment

Try brake stalling to about 2K or just barely under on your launches 1500 is to low. After that keep it straight and to the floor you should be low 16's or high 15's
              2000 Firebird. Whisper Lid, True duals, TSP mail order tune, Built Tranny , TCI 2800 stall verter, B&M tranny cooler, Eaton LSD, 3.42 gears. Current best ET. 15.232 89.09 MPH 2.175 60ft on stock 3.42\'s and open diff.<a href=\"http://www.geocities.c

Comment

The higher you brake stall it, the softer the torque converter will hit. I bet if you flash it from idle you'll get a little bit of spin.

The 3.08's are not the best gears for these engines when running na though. Even with nitrous or a blower, 3.23 or 3.42 gears help a lot. They definitely would help with an na car.

The gas smell.... I don't know. A leak? Running rich? If it's running rich, your power would be down too. Plus the plugs might be a bit fouled from running rich.

What psi are you running in the fronts and the rears?
                \'98 A4 Camaro v6-&gt;v8 conversion, and STS kit next<br />v6: 13.6 Powerdyne, 13.2 150 shot, 13.8 120 shot, 14.3 85 shot, 15.7 stock<br />v8(na): 12.18@113, 392rwhp<br />Moderator on <a href=\"http://www.mtfba.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.mtfba.org</a> and <a href=\"http://www.frrax.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.frrax.com</a> (Road Race & Autocross)<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/johnduncan10\" target=\"_blank\">Car pics</a>, <a href=\"http://www.trscca.com\" target=\"_blank\">TN Region SCCA</a>

Comment

I run at about 40 PSI on all 4 but I think im too slow for the PSI to affect it any. I'm not spinning now so I can't see dropping it. As for the gas..Its not a very strong smell but a couple people commented on it.I heard that it could mean my cat is pluged to..but exaust seems to flow ok so I dont know. I dont know how to change it to run leaner...or adjust my fuel flow at all(you dont have to change out the injectors do you?) I think I;m going to try and tune it up again before this weekend and see if anything happens.
                  Finally, I would love to switch my rear end gears but I cant get anyone to reprogram my computer. Noone makes a box for a 93-97 camaro 3.8 (do they??I couldnt find one)and every shop around here says they dont want to touch it.

I've tried launching from 2,000..from idle..tried in drive, in overdrive...My times dont change much..at about 2 grand it starts to brake stand..no matter what my best ever 60' is a 2.5 something so I totally agree with you, thats the big problem. And i promise...I keep it straight and keep it floored...My race car runs in the high 9 low 10 area..I dont back out of 17 second run. Thanks for the help though everyone..if you have any more ideas please let me know..I appreciate it

Comment

I don't know how much you want to spend on it (if any)....

A catback exhaust and a high flow cat would be an improvement.

3.42 gears are a possibility if you can get a VIN from a 3.42 '97 car and have your pcm flashed with that VIN.

The software from HPTUNERS, when it comes out for the '97, would be a good way to monitor the car and check the a/f ratio, and to tune it. (you could actually change timing, a/f, shift points, etc. with it)

Your injectors should be fine.
                    \'98 A4 Camaro v6-&gt;v8 conversion, and STS kit next<br />v6: 13.6 Powerdyne, 13.2 150 shot, 13.8 120 shot, 14.3 85 shot, 15.7 stock<br />v8(na): 12.18@113, 392rwhp<br />Moderator on <a href=\"http://www.mtfba.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.mtfba.org</a> and <a href=\"http://www.frrax.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.frrax.com</a> (Road Race & Autocross)<br /><a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/johnduncan10\" target=\"_blank\">Car pics</a>, <a href=\"http://www.trscca.com\" target=\"_blank\">TN Region SCCA</a>

Comment

You might try the cat, I had a clogged cat and for awhile the engine ran poorly but without misfires, eventually it started misfiring and I knew something was wrong. I ran 16.8 at 84 my first pass down the track though: that was with the stock converter and 3.08s. I got 3.42s and ran 15.7, converter and ran 15.3-15.4 without good tires: drivetrain mods make a HUGE difference on these cars.
                      -Eric<br />2002 Navy Blue Camaro...Striped and Stalled. 35th Anniversary SS wheels <br />Best ET: 15.384 @ 88.32 on street tires<br />Project Whitney: Goal, 14.0 1/4 by summer 2008.

Comment

did you ever run it after you fixed the cat but before the gears? How big of stall converter where you running?

Comment

well just got back from the track and my 60' is still a 2.5 but i ran some injector cleaner through it and the weather was really great for racing.... I hit a 16.29... so if most people thought the 16.8 was normal then I imagine the car is fine..still, any tips or opinions yet on the 60' or 1/4 yet would be appreciated

Comment

wishigotan8. your tire PSI is one sure source. Instead of running 40 on all four corners, run at about 28psi in the back, and 40 in the front. This will help to really give you a better 60' time.

-Justin
                            <b><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/drkmind11\" target=\"_blank\">2000 Red Firebird Coupe, A4.</a></b> ((3.42 Gears, LSD Stock))<br />Details: 3\" Edelbrock Exhaust, 3\" Catco Cat,160* Thermostat, 8% Tint, TA Chrome Wheels, Viper 550.

Comment

What track do you go to? Those are more like 3.4 times than 3.8 times, even with 3.08's you should be running faster than that. 16.2 is a little better, but still not that good. I know a person who went 15.6 in his 98 camaro with 3.08's bone stock. That track elevation is 750, i don't think much in wisconsin is over 2000 feet.
                              New Car: 2004 GTP Comp G (Test Vehicle) 13.936@99.32 <br />Mods: Cylinder Filter,No Mufflers, 3.3\" <br />Old Car: 2000 Formula 13.124 @ 106.01 with 2.73\'s<br />Other Car: 1993 Firebird 16.1@83

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X